Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS will be 3 in October. He was an early talker and has been speaking in full sentences for what seems like forever. However, he still has "I/me" and "you" mixed up. For example, if he wants juice, he'll say "You want some juice", or if I'm changing his diaper he'll say "Let's get you a new diaper". It's more like he's just parroting back what we say to him than coming up with words on his own (he has a very good memory).

Until recently, I've been bad about repeating back whatever he says (he says "You want some juice!", I say "You want some juice? OK!"), which I'm sure doesn't help. For several weeks now, though, I've been correcting him (he says, "You want some juice." I say, "I want some juice". He says "I want some juice". I say "OK"), but he still doesn't ever say it correctly first.

SO, how long did it take your kids to get pronouns figured out once they began speaking in full sentences? Is there anything you did that helped them? Or is it another one of those things that just 'clicks' one day?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
This seems fairly common with early talkers and is reinforced because it works for them and the people they deal with most. DD1 stopped the I/you reversal at about 2.5. She was getting frustrated because new people didn't understand, so one day I just started correcting her and after about a week there were no more reversals. I don't know if it was a question of there being and "Aha!" moment, or if it was just a habit that needed to be broken.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Ds is 2.5 and still does this. Confusing to outsiders but we know perfectly what he means! Sometimes I tell him "Say 'I want some juice, please'" and he will say "Say I want some juice, please."
I figure it will click eventually...

·
Registered
262 Posts
["Let's get you a new diaper"] This made me laugh; are you sure he doesn't mean it?

I have heard that kids this age are still a bit confused about the whole 'self' concept, so perhaps he's getting that a pronoun is necessary, but doesn't really understand why he should use the first person in all cases when he's talking about himself.

You hope this helps me a bit.

Nicole: 'Mamina' to Cass (16.01.05); partner to Neil. No Vax, Co-Sleep (Just the two of us--dh snores), go organic, extenda-nurser, pacifist, musician, blah blah blah,

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I correct my DS sometimes, but the "I"s and "you"s get sort of convoluted, so I think I may just let him figure out by listening to everyone else. I'm going to be lazy and work on gender pronouns instead.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
pronouns can take up to about age 4 to work themselves out. DD had them pretty well sorted out but loses them now & again
: i guess i could search my textbooks for something on that, but i'm too lazy
anyway, it's totally normal for it to take a while- early talker, late talker, all talkers!

·
Banned
5,766 Posts
I heard the funniest story about someone whose son had this problem. I think he was older then two when this occurred but I am not sure how old exactly. Anyhoo...

Son said something like, "You want a cup of water." So mama said to him, "Son, when are you going to start using 'I' to refer to yourself?" He gave her a look and said, "In 15 minutes." So 15 minutes go by and sure enough he started using I/me to refer to himself. It was like it took 15 minutes for his internal programming to be re-written.

Just had to share.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Next time he says "you want some juice," say "I don't want any juice, thank you." That's how I would start handling it. He'll pick it up. And it is an age appropriate thing for him to be doing. DD is 2.5 and is just now starting to use "I/me."

Jenn

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
My 4.5yo still mixes up he and she!

It's totally normal and I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
My ds will be 3 at the end of Sept, and he doesn't even use pronouns yet. He was a late talker though. He still uses names rather than pronouns.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
My daughter did this at first too - I don't remember exactly when she stopped, perhaps around 2 or so, but I honestly didn't make a huge effort to correct her. Sometimes I would say 'Do you mean 'I want some juice?' but otherwise, I would usually do just what you do - repeat it back since that was what was natural. They see plenty of examples of us using pronouns correctly, they will eventually correct themselves without any help, at least in my experience.

·
Banned
972 Posts
Lalaland! That story was so precious! ROFLOL!

Otherwise, that prob. sounds so normal. I totally expected my DD to do this, but she never did-- and I was kind of disappointed. What kind of kid just pops out using the proper pronouns right off the bat?!?! And just two days ago she asked a lady "Are you a girl?" Our jaws dropped! LOL! It was her first use of you in a real, formal question.

DD has always used "I" for herself. But you know what she CAN'T get right? Mommy and Daddy!!!!! For the longest she just said Daddy and never, ever said Mommy. Then she started calling me Daddy. Now that she's been using Mommy for a few months, she calls us both words interchangebly. When we correct her, she gives a little sly laugh as to say what does it matter, I own you both anyhow! LOL! So frankly, I think they all get some of this stuff mixed up for a while. It will surely straighten out in time.

Faith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts