Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She was totally fine before a few weeks ago. Now she is being watched M/F at the campus day care and T/TH by two girls who work at the campus day care while I am in class. She SCREAMS and tries to folow me out the door/holds on to my leg, etc. She apparently does not calm down for a long time after I leave. What can I do to help her? She has gone through seperation enxiety before but this is different - and is just began recently. Help!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Does she give you a reason she doesn't like to go? Or is she fine about going until she gets there? My son hates hates the "school" i send him to on Mondays but loves the private sitter we have tuesday-thursday.... For him personally i think he was just overwhelmed by too many kids....

Anyways he always cries too when i leave him...
I do try to spend at least 5-10 minutes with him there, get him comfortable, etc....so he doesn't feel like i am just "abandoning" him...or whatever he feels when i leave quickly...He also will bring his favorite stuffed giraffe from home...Does she have a special animal/doll/ etc that she could bring to help? Maybe y'all could pick one out together that would be special and could just be brought to daycare?

·
Banned
843 Posts
I found that having her teacher hold her as I left and talk to her and comfort her helped her to adjust better and me to leave feeling that she was being well taken care of. I think you should call her teacher and tell them you are concerned about the dropoff and helping your child adjust to a new schedule of being watched and ask them to hold her from now on when you leave. If they aren't willing to do this I would go to the supervisor because a university daycare should be providing quality care that includes hugging and comforting children and these teachers shouldn't be there if they aren't willing to do this.

We had a problem at dd's daycare for a while with some of the student employees in her room not being comfortable holding her while a parent was around and I found talking to her teacher while I wasn't also holding my child and rushing out the door at the end of the day helped me to present my problem clearly and get solutions because she took me more seriously than she would when I just brought it up and then left.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Stephanie, I just wanted to resurrect this thread b/c I was just looking for one with the same topic.

I recognize you from our March 05 threads, our dd's are the same age and I don't think it's a coincidence that they're both going thru this at the same time.

I drop dd off at another mama's house 2 half days a week while I work. It was really hard for her at first and then she got really into going and just the past couple of weeks she started melting down, just really really sad and crying when I left her. I had to stay and warn her that I was leaving for 30 minutes each time! Then last week it progressed into crying before we even left home! She was so so so sad! And it makes me so sad b/c she will try so hard not to cry with this sad look on her face and then burst into tears. My dcp told me that she was doing that all day last week while I was gone!

I really think for dd its a new level of awareness of me being gone, b/c it happens at home lately too. She has to know where I am at all times. I leave the room to go potty and I hear, "where'd mumma go?" even though I just told her that I was going to go potty.

I second the advice on the toy. I let dd pick one stuffed animal every day to take with her and we have a long talk about how if she feels sad she can snuggle bunny/doggie, etc. And after about two times of doing that it really worked. My dcp told me that she would pick up her bunny and snuggle her and then put her down and go play. She took her to bed with her for her nap there too. And it hasn't been the same animal... she picks different ones to comfort her each time.

I hope things are getting better for you and your dd!! Happy birthday to her!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.