Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have 3 boys (6, almost 4, 20 months).  It's my middle son that I've been increasingly worried about.  I feel like he is having some sensory issues but then something more might be going on too.  In the last 2 weeks, he's started to do things that are really troubling to me.  He was at a drop-in play daycare type of place last week with a good friend of his, Jack (I broke my foot so my friend took him there for 2 hours to give me a break).  I don't know what was going on but I do know it was kind of loud there with a lot of kids.  Jack and DS were playing with trains and when Jack wouldn't give him a train, DS bit him.  Today at school, DS got upset when the assistant wouldn't let him use more then 1 paper towel and</p>
<p>swung at her.  When she brought him to the main teacher, who got down on his level, he punched her face. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>This is really upsetting to me as a parent.  We didn't raise our child like that at all.  We've been concerned with sensory issues the last few months and have requested an OT consult (which was supposed to be today but rescheduled to next week). </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can anyone give me insights with sensory things?  Do these things sound like he might have some kind of SPD?  Does the increase in violence correlate at all with these things?</p>
<p> </p>
<ul><li><em>thumb sucking</em></li>
<li><em>constant touching</em> - coming up to someone (brother, mom), stroking their arm, putting his hand down his brother's shirt, pinning him down to hug him</li>
<li><em>missing social cues</em> - i.e. his younger brother crying and trying to get away from him while he continues to touch him and suck his thumb</li>
<li><em>still puts things in his mouth</em></li>
<li><em>when he's excited/ does this little gallop/jump in place on his tip toes</em></li>
<li>constant battle to wear socks - <em>"too tight"</em></li>
<li><em>doesn't like to wear shoes</em> - goes barefoot if at all possible and strips off shoes the minute we get in the door</li>
<li>complains about things being <em>'too loud!'</em></li>
<li>surrounds himself with 15000 lovies (cloth blankets), animals, and blankets when he goes to sleep</li>
<li><em>difficulty falling asleep</em> even when tired -wants me to lay and hold him</li>
<li>in the last 2 weeks, when he's gotten angry at something, he bit a friend and he hit his teacher today</li>
<li><em>does not do well with change of routine</em> (i.e. switching from summer clothes to winter clothes, moving, going to school instead of the dr) and tends to throw a fit</li>
<li><em>gags himself easily</em></li>
<li>when he gets upset crying, will throw up</li>
<li>has started spinning around more and more for fun</li>
</ul><p> </p>
<p>TIA!<br>
Devon</p>

·
Registered
613 Posts
<p>From reading that list he sounds like a tactile sensory seeker to me.  Possible SPD, but I don't know enough about him or SPD to say accurately.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts