Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, my 12 week old's penis is ballooning every time he pees. I noticed it when he was taking a bath this evening and again changing his diaper. He doesn't seem bothered at all, it isn't red or anything. I tried to google it but it only said it was normal for an older child. I don't know anyone who is intact or kept their kids intact to ask. Does anyone know if this is normal and I can wait a few weeks for the well child visit to bring it up or should I get an appointment now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ballooning is a normal part of being an intact boy. It indicates your son already has some separation between his foreskin and glans. It's unusual at this age but quite possible. He balloons because he still has a tight end, which is good as this is what prevents poop and bacteria getting in. Just wipe him down and don't be concerned if he has a little smegma work its way out the end now and then.
Just adding as I noticed you are thinking of bringing this up at a health check, I wouldn't. unless you know for sure that your doctor is educated on intact foreskins. There is nothing he can do but look at the outside and t may cause him to manipulate it. Nearly all foreskin problems are a direct result of adult interference and manipulation. I can't begin to say how many normal boys were given issues by doctors.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I agree with everything Jo satiated above. I would not mention it to the doctor. I don't know if you are familiar with the story of David Reimer, chronicled in a book called "The boy who was raised a girl". This is exactly how his nightmare started. At about 9 month old his foreskin was ballooning when he peed. His mother brought it up with the doctor who insisted that he needed to be circumcised. Keep in mind that this was long before the internet and information was non existent for the average person. The circumcision went wrong and his penis was burn't off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ballooning is a normal part of being an intact boy. It indicates your son already has some separation between his foreskin and glans. It's unusual at this age but quite possible. He balloons because he still has a tight end, which is good as this is what prevents poop and bacteria getting in. Just wipe him down and don't be concerned if he has a little smegma work its way out the end now and then.
Just adding as I noticed you are thinking of bringing this up at a health check, I wouldn't. unless you know for sure that your doctor is educated on intact foreskins. There is nothing he can do but look at the outside and t may cause him to manipulate it. Nearly all foreskin problems are a direct result of adult interference and manipulation. I can't begin to say how many normal boys were given issues by doctors.
Thank you so much for your response! I figured it was normal since it isn't red and isn't causing pain but I wasn't sure. Honestly, it shocked me because I have never seen anything like that happen before, my husband is cut so he wasn't sure either! Our Doctor did say she is educated on intact penis' but you can never be too careful! I had to take him for a high fever to the ER and they were trying to pull back his foreskin to put in a catheter. I said no! Get a bag to catch it and we will go from there. You are not touching his foreskin, and because I refused the doctor was acting like I was crazy. Would there be any other symptoms if it was phimosis?? I'm wondering if I need to get the steroid cream in case it is, just from what I have been reading. It's so frustrating not having anyone to talk to about foreskin issues because I live in the U.S. Heck, my whole family still thinks I'm insane for not circumcising my son.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with everything Jo satiated above. I would not mention it to the doctor. I don't know if you are familiar with the story of David Reimer, chronicled in a book called "The boy who was raised a girl". This is exactly how his nightmare started. At about 9 month old his foreskin was ballooning when he peed. His mother brought it up with the doctor who insisted that he needed to be circumcised. Keep in mind that this was long before the internet and information was non existent for the average person. The circumcision went wrong and his penis was burn't off.
Oh my gosh!! I haven't heard of this story at all. Circumcision isn't happening. Even if my doctor suggested it, I would find another doctor. I can't believe anyone would cause pain to their baby for NO reason. I went to the ER for a high fever with him and the doctor was trying to retract his foreskin to put in a catheter. I mentioned that it is fused to the head of the penis and it shouldn't be retracted or manipulated. His exact words were, "it is not and there would be no harm done in retracting to see where to put a catheter" I told him he was crazy and to get a bag to catch it or we aren't getting a urine analysis. Lol. I was like how are you even a doctor and unaware that they are fused together?!

·
Registered
962 Posts
ER's are terrible places, they assume if you take an intact baby in that it must be a UTI and will try and retract and cath. I know two mums who had UTI's diagnosed at an ER, turned out their little ones had ear infections! I would not go to an ER unless you are in desperate medical need. Of course they should not retract at all and a NICU nurse can cath a premature baby by feel alone with no retracting so their need to retract is baloney and shows more their own incompetence then anything. Apart from that catheter use in infants has been linked to causing UTI, so something to stay away from. Good job on stopping him.

US doctors are not taught about how the foreskin develops and most medical text books do not show it, you would need a book published in Europe, sadly they are only taught how to cut it off.

That is a old but very sad story about a baby boy who they tried to reassign as a girl due to his penis being burnt off. He basically became known as the sex reassignment experiment because they believed in the 1970's that a boy could be raised to be a girl. Sadly he grew up mentally disturbed, always felt like a male and committed suicide. The entire story is heart breaking.

Retracting can happen at any age from 1-18 and needs no 'help'.

*warning contains adult pictures further down, but the first few pages are on in utro and babies.*
Information on how the penis forms http://www.coloradonocirc.org/files/handouts/Anatomy_and_Function.pdf and functions.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Good for you for refusing the catheter and protecting your son. I have always viewed them as highly invasive, and as Jo pointed out they have been known to cause UTIs. You are way more informed about intact male genitalia than many so called medical professionals in the U.S. - It's very sad that they are so ignorant, because I suspect a great many intact little boys are harmed by incorrect diagnoses and treatment. Just consider how often we have heard the story of some unfortunate child "having to be circumcised", and contrast that with the statistic from Finland where fewer than 16,600 men will die without their foreskin.

By the way phimosis can not be diagnosed in a child because a tight, fused foreskin is the normal state, so the use of steroid creams is only pertinent for those past puberty who are having painful erections because of a persistently tight foreskin. See: www.cirp.org/library/normal .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Foreskin amputation (which goes by the euphemism "circumcision") is a sickening, hideous form of torture with the goal of ruining normal male sexuality. Victims of this lose the most sensual part of their bodies. Victims of this are unable to enjoy sex the way it's meant to be enjoyed. They are unable to "spiritually" connect with another person. Sex just feels like something you do to satisfy an urge like the urge to urinate instead of a way to share existence with another person. If a doctor pricks a girl's clitoris to draw a drop of blood or amputates her clitoral hood, that's female genital mutilation. Male genital mutilation is just as physically devastating as female genital mutilation. Both are crimes against humanity that should not be tolerated by an enlightened civilized society.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts