Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my twins has what appears to be a cold. His nose his congested, he can hardly breathe. The drainage is yellow. He doesn't have a fever.

I just don't know what to do for him. Should I be concerned??

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would call his pediatrician just to let them know what's up, but he should be ok. My daughter caught a cold when she was 3 weeks old as well. I called her pediatrician, I didn't have to bring her in, I just let her know what was up and she told me to keep an eye out for fever and to try to keep her comfortable and hydrated, which just meant nurse nurse nurse. I did use breastmilk in her nose to try to break up the snot, and then I sucked it out. Worked way better than saline for us!

Your pediatrician may want to see him, he may not, but I would still call just to be safe. I'm a worry wart though.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
so sorry mama. Having a little baby with a cold is no fun. I second the breast milk and suctioning. Have you seen the suctioner called "baby comfy nose". I was thinking about trying to get one for our house since my ds seems to get a lot of colds (because he has a big sister who brings them home from preschool). It seems like it would work better than our bulb syringe. Also I think using a humidifier can really help because it keeps everything moist and from creating a dried up blockage. Also it will minimize coughing that often follows a stuffy nose. Lots of nursing is good, and stay in touch with the ped just in case. Hope everyone feels better soon.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My baby also had a cold at 3 weeks. I took him to the doctor, but there was really nothing she could do about it. She suggested a vaporizer, having him sleep on a slight incline (we put a board under one side of the bassinet), and we suctioned. I bought this really awesome little nose vacuum at Target. It was a lot faster and more effective than the bulb. Baby hates it either way, but with the vacuum its faster and I don't have to repeat over and over. Good luck mama!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Witout a fever or breathing trouble there really is no reason to run to the doc. I agree with what all the PP have said. Nurse, suction, humidifier, sleep at an incline if congestion is causing sleep issues. My newest babe got a little cold at the same age and it was short lived. If baby won't nurse, is super lethargic/limp or spikes a fever then you can worry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.