Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 y/o DD will take her thumb or index finger and hit it on the palm of her other hand. I don't know why she does this. I'm worried. She's very smart and observant. I would love to know why she does this. Nervous habit, anxious, stress or could it be something else?? Please any advice would be so great. I have been stressing myself crazy over this. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
<p>It doesn't sound concerning to me in and of itself. Maybe she is just stopping to think; I tend to stop and snap my fingers or tap my head when I'm trying to remember where I put something.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is that all that is going on?</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
<p>I don't think it is hugely out of the ordinary. Sounds like a self soothing technique or habit. Probably feels good to her. Along the lines of biting a lip, twisting hair, etc. My son rubs his finger on his lip. How long has it been going on? Can she stop if you ask her to?</p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes she stops when I ask her to. It's concerning cause she does it a lot. Thank you all for your feed back. I just needed some opinions and someone to talk to about it. For a mother anything out of the ordinary that our children do are concerning. She started doing this about a month ago that I know of, could be the past 2 or 3 months. But I thank you all do much.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
<p>Concerning behaviour often comes and then just as quickly, disappears. I remember when my dd was about two she started pulling out strands of her own hair. It took all my strength not to lose my mind, but I didn't react at all and eventually it stopped. There have been other things over the years (chronic nose picking, toenail chewing) that drive me crazy, but I just try not to stress about it.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts