Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
My daughter will be 3 in August and she likes to talk like a baby. She contort her mouth in funny ways and speak like a baby and she will even walk funny trying to be like a baby. I am sure this has to do with issues about wanting to be a big girl but at the same time wanting to still be a baby, but it drives me nuts!
I feel like when I get annoyed at it she does it more so I am trying to ignore it.
Any suggestions or comments about this.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
3 has been a tough age for my DS (and me!) so far. He was doing a lot of way out of character stuff a few months ago. He would go back and forth between whining for me to do things for him because "I'm a baby" (his words) and then yell and me and say "I'll do it myself, I'm big!"

It was very clear that he was just having a tough time transitioning. Sounds like your daughter is going through something similar. Please don't be annoyed with her (yeah, easier said than done, I know!) Just be patient with her and she will fall into her new place as a "big kid" soon. My son seems to be settled now and confident in himself and his abilities again and things are much easier.

It must be scary for them, getting older and turning into a kid, as opposed to a baby completely dependant on mama, you know?

·
Registered
649 Posts
DD went through this around 25 months. Drove me nuts. We spent the day with her cousin who is the same age but does not speak yet. She just says "mamamamama" for everything and runs around pointing. Well, for days after that, all Alli would do is point and say "mamamamaaaa" like that. I hated it. It passed.

Now we spend lots of time with her 9 month old cousin and she loves to imitate him. She has even resorted to playing in the exersaucer again several times a day!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by breadmad
Thank you so much for responding. This was my first time using this forum.
I think you are absolutely right and I will try not to get "annoyed" as much anymore
Thanks again
I am glad I could help some

Really though, if you look around through the toddler, child and discipline forums, you will see a TON of posts asking about newly 3 year old behavior changes. I started a thread a while back about my DS's out of character behavior and then I started noticing a ton of other concerned posts from parents of kids turning 3. It really seems to be a challenging age. But it does cool down some, at least it has for us!

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
Our dd just turned 3 and this is familiar to me too. It must really feel like a tug of war - the desire to be big and accomplished and the familiarity of being a baby and being taken care of. I often ask my dd what she wants or why she is feeling what ever it is she seems to be feeling. For example: "Why are you crying?" and often her answer is "I don't know." (I ask this in a loving way, often getting down on her level, not in an annoyed manner.) I find that a cuddle or two or just a few quiet moments with her are what she needs to reconnect with me and equalize a bit.

As for copying behavior of others...Oh yeah!!! We have a slightly younger boy in our play group who does not speak well and when she spends any amount of time with him, she begins to talk exactly like him. I think it's clever to see them imitate but it gets annoying too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.