Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>DS2 just turned 3 last week. We practiced elimination communication with him from birth, so he was out of diapers by 16 months and done with misses by 2. Recently he has been peeing on the floor in our house, or in his pants. When I talk to him about it, he laughs because he thinks it's funny. We just had a new baby the end of October, so I was imagining that he was regressing because of a new sibling. Any tips on how I should deal with this would be appreciated.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks</p>
<p> </p>
<p>-Lauren</p>

·
Registered
50 Posts
<p>I totally recognize this, my DD (also an EC babe) has been pulling some power/control stuff around our house and near as I can figure (for us) it seems that she knows she can control her bladder (she has been doing it for years) and she knows it is one of the few things she has total control over AND it is pretty important to me where she pees.  So, if life isn't going her way or she isn't getting enough attention, she does what she knows will refocus on her- pee in her pants...on floor something and then the spotlight is all hers as I help her clean up.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>obviously with a new baby in the house, the dynamic changes and even the most attached and self assured child can feel jealous of the changes...are you doing EC with #2?  perhaps ds1 can be put in the spotlight by showing his new brother the ropes? I think many people withold praise from the EC experience in the beginning and take a more "this is how the world works" approach ( I know I did- I think this is appropriate) However, clearly your son KNOWS how to use the potty and at this point how about a little praise for making good choices?  because at this age with a long time grad, they are choices.  Also, I tried really hard not to be surprised, upset or have much reaction to dd's potty demonstrations- I would say something like "you choose to go potty on the floor, I will clean it up while you change your clothes and put the dirty ones in the hamper."  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hope this helps, DD seems over her peeing on the floor experiment for now, but night time has turned into a whole other can of worms :)</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts