Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had anyone heard about this? I seen this on the news this morning and the story just really upset me beyond belief. This boy was with his adoptive parents for almost 4 years and now has been given back to his biological parents.

Quote:
But because their adoption was never finalized, a judge says the Scotts have to return Evan to his biological mother, whom he has never lived with, in a child-custody case involving three families and nine judges.
story here

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
well maybe (and I completly agree that this is a nightmare for the family) they HAD to make this ruling due to laws and so forth. For example, if they left him with parents that did not legally have custody because it would open the door to making it easier to proform illeagal adoptions.

I remember a similar story a few years ago about a foster family trying to adopt their foster child that they had had for 2 1/2 years. It came out that the biological father was 1/8 Native American and the child was returned to the tribe. Although it may have seen harsh, the tribes have been abused horribley in the past by people adopting (or buying) children that are their future.

Hope I am making sense - I am loopy today.

V.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
While I do not want to debate the validity of either parents, I really don't see how completely removing parental rights from the biological father w/out hearing is "fair" either (and this has been in court for over three years).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Poor child! It seems that in this case maybe the parents and the adoptive parents could have agreed on some form of custody instead of dragging this on for three years.

However, in the past it seems that the court system is designed to play out this way. In my group home I had a little boy who is still in the home after 6 years and his mom never gave her rights away. Which means if anyone wanted to adopt him-like me! We would have to fight because she has rights still. Unfortunately, she has seen him only once and is still trying to recover from drug abuse. I have no judgement on her-drug rehad is HARD. But, at the same time he could be in a different family situation. Instead of being in the system.

Sorry if I rambled on and of Topic

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Poor baby.....that's what is sad to me. It is horrible if the Dad didn't have a hearing but in certain cases, you have to put your baby's needs before your own. To be pulled out of the only home you know is not in his best interest. It should be gradual if at all.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Not knowing this particular situation, how does length of time make a difference if a legal procedure was not done properly?

there was a situation in this area in which a caregiver took her young charge and turned him over to some friends of hers, who then went to a local judge (friend of theirs from what I gathered from the papers, they were attorneys...) to terminate the mother's rights. The mother had ended up in the hospital for depression, no drug issues, and had trusted this friend to care for her toddler. After two years of legal wrangling in which the real mother got free legal aid to fight this crap, she got her baby back.

Now since you all are taking the "only home he's known for 3 years" approach to this, how much time does it take for what amounts to a kidnapping to become legal? I'm not saying that the OP is that sort of situation, just that the length of time it takes for the legalities to be hashed out should have no bearing.

There was another situation in this area in which a baby was improperly taken by CYS, kept for ? years, they were effectively prevented from taking her next baby, but she did give up her son to the foster family. He never should have been taken from her in the first place, and by giving him up, she really just rewarded CYS for kidnapping. I do not think it best for families to be separated under false pretenses. Ever.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I just don't see how this almost 4 year old can come away from this without some damage. I can't imagine handing my 3.5 year old ds over to someone and never seeing him again! It would kill me. I agree that bio-parents have rights and all but the court system should find away to rush these cases through so less damage is done to the child. This case started when he was only 3 months old! If he had been removed from the adopted couple within the first year of his life it would have been better for everyone.

These cases are the reason I would Never adopt!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Quote:
I agree that bio-parents have rights and all but the court system should find away to rush these cases through so less damage is done to the child.
I agree 100%.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Having read the article now, I think that the father being able to step in like that when he has done nothing, shown no interest in the fact of the child's existance, abused his mother, etc, is just plain wrong.

Now if the mother had hidden the fact of her pregnancy from him, denying him any chance to try to be a decent father on any level, my opinion would be different. But this seems to me like he didn't care until he could screw things up for them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.