Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 week old and 3 year old. I used to lie down with my 3 year old for naps and bedtime until he fell asleep and then I'd sneak away to get stuff done. Now with the new baby it's really hard to still do that. Ds2 is usually making enough noise that Ds1 can't fall asleep and I feel like I'm neglecting ds2 by trying to keep him quiet while his brother tries to fall asleep (which can take over an hour sometimes.) Ds1 just can't fall asleep happily unless I'm there with him. He's been skipping naps because I can't lie down long enough for him to drop off and bedtimes are really difficult to coordinate because ds1 wants me to hug him to sleep while ds2 is getting cranky for his sleep. I co-sleep with the baby and dh ends up co-sleeping with ds1 in the middle of the night. Any suggestions on how to make it easier for ds1 to fall asleep without my presence. I give him lots of hugs and love in bed and he knows he gets to sleep with daddy when he wakes up in the middle of the night. I just can't lie in bed with him any more for that long. Tonight he cried himself to sleep while I nursed baby to sleep in the other room. I feel awful.
Any suggestons?
:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
hang in there, i know it is not easy!
here is what i do: we go to sleep when dd1 (2 yo) is really sleepy. we take dd2 (5.5 mo) with us, dd2 is nursing, and i am singing to dd1 or telling a short story (or nursing her too). i tried to comfort both girls together at the same time from day 1, so it works for us.
HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.