Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wonderful 3 and a half year old ds is extremely ocd. Not in the way that all toddlers are a little ocd, but really really really ocd. It started our with arranging things a certain way and controlling games, it has lept into not being able to play a game if he is missing one peirce, washing his hands 15 to 20 times a day and insisting that others do it. He has also started to show a sensitivity to volmue. He demands that everyone who enters our house must take their shoes off and if the don't he will continue to ask over and over. If he can't have things a certain way he literally just breaks down and fails to function. I am not mentioning all of the other things do to lack of time but it goes on...That being said he is almost reading, adding and subtracting, working out complex problems and on a whole functions at a 5 year old level. He is very friendly and funny and he is a very good listener. We have almost no behavior problems except for the shutting down when he can't get someone to wash their hands before they play with his toy and so on .....Do any of you have children with ocd? If so did you have them diagnosed and how do you deal with it now? When did they show signs and what were they were there any that they outgrew. Any input would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I saw signs (though I hoped not) of OCD in one of my kids at about 3.5ish. He's five now. The best treatment for OCD is cognitive behavioral therapy when he is older. Maybe 5 given his cognitive level perhaps.
You can read books--Tamar Chansky is one author on childhood OCD. Do an amazon search and you'll find lots of good books. There is a parenting OCD group on Yahoo groups and that author and another 1 or 2 dealing with childhood OCD will answer questions. The parents are helpful too it seems. I understand OCD pretty intimately but have felt lost in how to approach it with a young child. My kid's isn't taking over his life and no one here will work with a child of his age so I'm sort of waiting for him to get a bit older. But the OCD foundation has a listing of practitioners and you can see if there is a someone working with pediatrics near you. It may be hard at his age.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
My daughter is almost five and her neurologist believes she has OCD.

The neuro suggested a neuro psych eval…we are going next week. I wasn't sure the exam was necessary since we've all found ways to work around it and it isn't taking over her life. However, we've found she's being labeled in other ways, labels the neuro feels are completely wrong. The neuro said we would be better off knowing exactly what is going on to help our daughter and to possibly tell teachers, who may decide to diagnose her themselves - incorrectly.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My nephew has OCD and social phobia. He showed OCD-like behavior at a very young age, like your child. His OCD behavior did NOT get better with age. He was phobic of germs. In the 4th grade, he developed social phobia and other phobias that kept him from attending school. He ended up isolated and miserable. Once my sister finally took him to a psychiatrist and started an SSRI he regained his life. He had friends, he attended school, etc. He no longer crouched in the basement for days on end phobic of multiple disasters. I don't think medication should be used lightly, but when a child is debiliated by a mental illness I think it should be considered along with other treatments.

I would encourage you to at least consult with a professional. As another poster suggested, cognitive behavioral therapy may help.

Your child certainly sounds very bright, but I wouldn't let a strength in one domain overshadow a need for assistance in another. I just don't see a point in letting someone suffer needlessly, if some guidance and professional assistance might help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.