Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is 3 years 5 months... at preschool when he gets frustrated he will hit another little boy over a toy.
He will hit us when he is mad about something....usually taking him away from something he is doing.

my question is.... is it normal to still be hitting at 3years plus?.... I've seen it described for 2 year olds..but my son didn't really do it then.. the hitting began around 3.

thanks
tracy

·
Registered
692 Posts
My DS started hitting at preschool at around 3 years - we did have a bit of an unusual circumstance because he was having a reaction to his allergy medication, antihistamines can cause some kids to lose impulse control. Even after we took him off the medication, we had to deal with the behavior that he had learned while on it. However, his teacher assured us that it was not unusual behavior and suggested that we just try to work on the behavior as it came up.

I took a bit of a different approach than they suggested and explained to DS that if he was not able to use his words instead of hitting we would have to go home immediately. I decided to do this simply because my DS is very strong willed and I have found that talking it out with him in the moment just does not have much success even though it might work just fine with a different child.

I also spent a day observing him in his classroom and was able to notice a few things that seemed to trigger him (like another child getting too close), his teachers were then better able to intervene before the situation got out of control.

I took him home 2 or 3 times and after that, along with his teachers helping to diffuse hot situations, the hitting gradually has become a rare thing and not at preschool at all.

I don't know if any of this is helpful and I realise that it is kind of rambling but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.