Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
all i can say is i am in the same boat! i got ds to bed tonight at 10:30 and that was after he had no nap and i was trying to get him to bed since 7:30!

i kept giving up and letting him run around, waited for him to lose steam.... but it never happned. finally i picked him up and started talking to him about how much i love to cuddle him and carry him, and started singing to him like when he was a baby , while i walked around the house. ( without mentioning the dreaded BEDTIME word) he got really relaxed and i was FINALLY able to convince him to go lay down with me

that said, my only insight into this new phase of going on 3, is that while theres a whole bunch of "grown up" stuff going on for them , hence transition power struggles over jammies and such, there is a certain amount of insecurity in every growth phase. i have noticed DS is really into pretending he is a baby, for instance, so i have been taking advantage of it, and get him to do stuff by pretending hes a baby, with extra cuddles and goo-goo kind of talk which i think he needs right now anyway so its win-win.

i dont know how much sleep they are supposed to have, but i do think i also need to just make a certain bed time and stick to it no matter what--

BTW when we play baby i also tell him how i think its so wonderful he is growing up and i will always cuddle him, that i love to cuddle my big boy too, etc FWIW

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
darshani, how do you enforce your rule about staying in bed?

i am still nursing DS but just to bed at night and sometimes in the A.M, or if he wakesup in the middle of the night (WHICH I MUST ADD HE HAS JUST STOPPED DOING!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOOOO he used to wake 5-6 times!!!)

but i want to nurse, then just get him to go to sleep on his own. he just gets up and if we try to put him back in bed its a crying yelling tantrumy battle. honestly i end up feeling really cruel putting him back in bed over and over...i know its not cruel, i actually will lay there with him during it, but i just feel that way anyway.... a couple times he has williinly laid there and read books by himself for a long time but thats really rare. so any tips would be great!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.