Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3.5 yo ds has started opening the blinds, unlocking his window and sliding it open, at nap or bedtime when he is alone in his room. He has pushed the screen out twice now. We are trying to find a lock that attaches at the top, out of his reach. (We bought three different window locks that don't fit, we will keep looking, obviously!) But how do we keep him from doing it in the meantime? If he fell out he would land on a stone patio... Freaky as anything. He is a pretty cautious boy generally, but he definitely doesn't 'get' why this freaks me out. He tells me he won't fall, or that "the ambulance will fix his blood that spills when he goes splat".<br>
Dh has said flat out he will spank him if he does it again, and all I am doing is sitting there trying to convince ds why he shouldn't do it.<br>
Help, advice please!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Could you hammer a long nail into each side of the window frame right above the window sash that opens? You could leave a good portion of the nail outside of the frame to act as a stopper. Possibly position the nails a few inches from the bottom sash so the window could open a little bit for air if you need to?<br><br>
My sister did this about 8 years ago when her now 10-year-old began opening his window.<br><br>
You could remove the nails when you have a better lock, and keep the hammer with the remover-thingie handy for you and too high up for ds to reach in case of a fire/emergency?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are in a brand new house and I know dh wouldn't be very happy about it, but if I can't find a window lock that works tomorrow morning at Home Depot I'm definitely doing it!! I can always fill in the nail hole with wood putty when I take the nail out. Thank you !!!!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Can you just install window guards? Here's a link to some info on them from the CPSC:<br><br><a href="http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml00/00126.html" target="_blank">http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml00/00126.html</a>

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I don't know if you've got the window guards from the above post, but we have small brass sort of triangley things from (probably) home depot that (if you've got double hungs) screw into the path of the window that lifts up. They're hinged so you can flip them open if you need to open the window.<br><br>
We used to just have these on our first floor as a security sort of feature, then added them to the other windows when 3.5 year old dd did the same stuff your son is doing. She couldn't figure out why it was a big deal either.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I would secure the window in whatever way I could. But I also don't usually leave my 3 yo to nap alone.<br><br>
You could carry a portable baby moniter around with you, and run upstairs the moment you hear movement in his room.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ja-mamma, my reply may be a bit harsh, but what is more importabt, your son cracking his head open on the patio and winding up in the ICU or worse, or DH not being happy about a hole in the wall. Hole in son's head vs. hole in window/wood.<br><br>
I am a trauma nurse and I have seen to many dead and permanently injured children. Please secure the window immediately.<br><br>
((hugs))

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You could also jam a piece of wood between the top of the bottom sash and the top of the window. Kind of like people often do with sliding patio doors.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by Liz</i><br><b>You could also jam a piece of wood between the top of the bottom sash and the top of the window. Kind of like people often do with sliding patio doors.</b></td>
</tr></table></div>
A dowel rod could work nicely. We use a large dowel for our patio door and I have used them in my windows as well. They are cheap and I believe you can even get it cut to size at the hardware store.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What we've worked out is a shower curtain rod jammed horizontal at the very top so it can't slide open at all, and he can't reach the curtain rod. He's actually been great since our talk, and hasn't mentioned if he's noticed the rod. We can't find any window locks/stops/thingees that work on these windows. There is no track sticking up from the ledge. I bought every single type thinking one of them had to work, now I have a whole pile of opened boxes, hoping they'll let me return them.<br>
And Zombiemomma, it's not a harsh outlook at all to want my boy protected, I shouldn't have even thought of dh's worry over a nailhole, he's just as concerned to keep Josef safe as I am. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts