Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my 3 yo still has his binky.
: Is this something I should think about giving up? Our doc (family prac, not ped) is really laid back and says, "He won't be getting married with it."
But when is old too old?

· Registered
545 Posts
2.5 yo still has one. My girlfriend got rid of her daughters when they dealt with a run of impentigo (sp?). You're Dr. is right..he won't walk down the aisle with it. How do you feel about it. That would be what I would ask. :LOL

· Registered
8,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think there's a problem; I mean if he was nursing to sleep at this age that would be seen as a good thing by many (in the ap community -- definitely not in my family
). I do think it needs to be confined, so to speak, to bed though. What's funny is my cousin's ds (same age as mine) still uses his binky to sleep, and I thought, "Phew, if he still has one, then it's okay for my ds to have one!" :LOL

· Registered
994 Posts
I am far from an expert on dentistry and pacifier usage, but I think that at some point pacifier usage causes abnormal development of the palate and of muscular function. Granted, I don't know the extent to which it happens, at what age, how reversable it is, and how many hours of usage per day is of concern. However, if this is something that you are already thinking about, you may want to do some research to see what you think about the studies that have been done in this area--I think there are a lot. Good luck! I know I feel better about a decision when I have at least read the academic studies on the topic, even if I end up not going along with what was "decided".

· Registered
2,501 Posts
My 30 month old still uses his. My doctor is also laid back about it (if that matters at all).

It comforts him and that comforts me. I get irritated when people give him smack about it. I am not even thinking yet about the day the binky is no longer.... it will happen eventually.

· Banned
1,657 Posts
My dd used her binky till she was 2.5 , when she started talking I told her binky was for naptime and bedtime. My mom weaned her when she was babysitting. She couldn't find her binky at naptime and told dd that it was lost. Dd was okay with it. That approach would have never worked if I had tried it. Only grandmas can get away with that. I just continued what my mom had told her.
I hadn't really had any plans on taking it away. Ds almost 2 sucks his thumb and I've already had people ask me when I was going to make him stop. My standard answer is that I'll make him stop before he gets married.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.