Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay not much cleaning.
I made muffin batter
Put on a load of laundry
Boiled water for mop bucket
Started loading dishwasher.

back in another 30 minutes with TONNES OF CLEANING THIS TIME!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Today is my usual "home blessing" day. On the docket is spending 15 minutes in every room upstairs (including bathrooms):
~ pick up
~ dust
~ vacuum
~ mop floor
~ empty trash/recycling
~ look around for projects - add to list

I copied and pasted from my task list. I've been cleaning the house every Monday for years. In 2010, I changed my pattern a bit and am still tweaking the details.

Okay, we'll be starting in a few minutes....

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mopped the upstairs floors
took out muffins...ready to put another in
put in lunch
swept downstairs
started dishwasher

sunnysandiegan--what is home blessing day?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
swept and mopped downstairs
vaccuumed
finished muffins
made brownies
cleans bathrooms
folded laundry

now....hmm.....should I clean out some drawers or should I go through clothes....we will see.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm in!

started load of laundry
set out work outfit for tomorrow
scrubbed bananas off kitchen floor
did some closet decluttering

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
First 15:
I taught DD (again) how to clean her bathroom sink, counter, and toilet. First time I've had her clean the bathtub...hilarious! ... got pictures.
While she moved things out of the room and back in, I cleaned her mirror, faucet, and floor. (It only took 15 minutes because I was teaching her and being ultra patient, which is why I had this room be first!
)

Second 15:
DD took out our master bathroom trash and put in a new bag, then started on her bedroom. I zipped through our bathroom sink, counter, toilet, shower, and floor. Then, I vacuumed the hallway and stairs.

Third 15:
I joined DD in her bedroom. I dusted from top to bottom while she straightened her bed and put little things away. We ended up folding and putting away two blankets from her bed and I needed a stool, so I also grabbed the hammer and two nails. We spent three rounds in her bedroom and she finally said, "Mommy, let's just finish without the timer!"
We got two items hung on the wall that have been ready for several months and waiting on her nightstand. We also matched pictures I printed back in mid-January to frames that have been in her bedroom for years - empty. They are cute, so they've been out like decor all this time.
I also vacuumed really well, moving the lighter furniture. DD also gave away a bunch of things. We spread things out in her room instead of putting anything else in those places or leaving them empty. She said, "I love it, Mommy! It feels so much freer!"

Then, we cooked and ate lunch together.

Last 15 minutes:
I put the few items away that were out in my bedroom and collected 60 items for charity from my closet (normal collection spot) and put them by the front door. I dusted and vacuumed thoroughly, as well. DD crawled under the bed to unhook the lousy telephone cord to the phone we never use. The phone is going to our neighbor (requested).

WOO HOO! I
productive days!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I got the kitchen table cleaned

Living room tidied and vacuumed

Toilet cleaned

Dishwasher packed

And hung some laundry

The rest of the house still looks like a bomb site. This is so depressing - seeing how many hours are sucked into maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoS View Post

Sounds flylady. Is it?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoS View Post

Thanks, DelicateFlower, for bringing this to my attention. I missed it originally.

I got the term from Flylady way back in 2001-2002 when I read about her. However, I use the term far more generically than she does.
I like the way it sounds and how it makes me feel. More like I am doing something GOOD for our home (and family) versus "cleaning up after everyone".

In the past, we have spent an hour on Monday evenings as a family (even when DD was really young, she helped) racing around cleaning up whatever needed to be done the most. Then, when I was no longer working outside the home and especially once I was no longer bringing in a paycheck at all and DD was in school, I started doing it myself during the day for an hour. Just whatever needed the most love in our home. This calendar year, I decided to structure it a bit and am still working out the details.

My idea:
1st Monday - Spend 15 minutes in each room downstairs, including outside.

2nd Monday - Thoroughly clean all three bathrooms and the laundry room (which is behind the same door as the powder room downstairs).

3rd Monday - Spend 15 minutes in each room upstairs, including bathrooms (again).

4th Monday - Wipe down all the random things that never get attention otherwise:
~ ceiling fans
~ window sills
~ upper edges of all rooms
~ blow down cobwebs in stairwell
~ baseboards wherever accessible
~ vacuum stairs

It needs tweaking because some weeks are taking WAY longer than my usual one hour. Maybe those areas needed it and will level off soon? I'm giving the concept three full months and will adjust thereafter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.