Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son seems to constantly be tired. He's always energetic, but he just can't seem to get enough sleep. From my observation it seems like he *should* be sleeping about 11 hrs a night and then his ideal nap is 2-3 hrs in the afternoon. That's about 13-14 hrs of sleep a day. Is that a normal amount of sleep for a 32 month old?

He often doesn't get that much sleep, because I have to get up early in the morning and he wakes up when I get up. He is with my mom during the day and he does not sleep as deeply at her house and occasionally he won't nap at all (he's rather difficult to get to nap... afraid he's going to miss something...)

I'm just wondering if the amount of sleep he needs is normal and if it's normal for him to be tired so often. My mother brought it up first, because she's with him so much during the week and feels that he is just constantly tired...

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My DD is 31 months, and she's the same way. Only, she's getting way less sleep than your DS--I cannot find anything that works to get her to nap anymore, and she's only getting 11 1/2-12 hours of sleep at night. It's been a bad few months.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I think my boys needed that much sleep at that age but they had stopped napping and so weren't getting it. So I don't think the amount is too much and I think it would be reasonable that he seems tired if he isn't getting what he needs.
So when he does get the rest he seems to need (like week-ends) is he still tired? If so that's when I would want things checked out.
Fatigue can mean something..did in my son..if it is still present no matter the amount of sleep.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Check out http://www.askdrsears.com for info on how much sleep a child should get. You would be supprised at the amount they REALLY need. I would say that your DC is doing what is the best for you DC. Also remember that when they are on the verge of a new development they typically start to sleep more, and then don't sleep so well once they get that new ability. Enjoy all the sleep while you can! LOL

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My son is 37 months (?) and has been struggling with getting enough sleep for the last year. Mostly he did well with naps, but over the last 6 months he's been really fighting it. From what I have found if they're getting 12 hours, that pretty much enough. I think my son could go for 13-14 as well.

Other things that can affect sleep is nutrition, have you had his iron levels checked?

If you think, though, that he would sleep longer in the a.m. if you stayed in bed... then that might be where you look for a better answer... That is to say, if you can't adjust when he wakes up, can you put him to bed earlier at night? Also, if he has different households, would his sleep be affected by any stress or anxiety he may be feeling? Oh, and what about teething? Does he have his molars in?

Good Luck

·
Registered
777 Posts
Does your son snore?? My son snored and had sleep apnea, so while he was sleeping lots (11-12 hours a night and a 2 hour nap) he still seemed tired all the time. He still ran around lots, but his mood was very irritable. He had his tonsils and adenoids removed 1.5 months ago and now that he is getting quality sleep he has a lot more energy and his mood has improved tremendously.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I second having his iron levels checked just in case.

And if it's not an iron issue, then is there a way to make the places where he sleeps more uniform? Since he's napping somewhere other than where he sleeps at night, maybe making the two environments as similar as possible might help. So lighting, sounds, bedding, loveys, routine, etc., should all be as similar as possible. That might help?

Good luck Mama!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.