Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been informed by my birth center that they are now going to classify me as a VBAC and that I must deliver in a hospital due to the uterine surgery I had in Feb 2005 to remove a fibroid. They knew I had had this surgery and I provided them with the surgical report when I came in for my very first appt at 10 weeks and I was not classified as a VBAC patient.

Now at 32 weeks they tell me that their back up OB recommends (read - they can't go against his recommendation) is that I deliver at the hospital and that he is calling the surgeon to clarify IF I can deliver vaginally or if I should be scheduled for a C-section. They will let me on the 10th. I KNOW the surgeon will say C-section because he told me when I woke up from my surgery that I would need a C-section when I got PG again. I believed it was due to the fact that the hospital that he was affiliated with does not allow VBACS and he assumed that he would be the OB. I had always planned to go back to the birth center.

The surgeon also called me back in August to see how my pregnancy was going (and to ask why I was not seeing his office for OB care) and I explained that was going back to the birth center for my second delivery. He was shocked that they were going to let me deliver vaginally and I told him that I had provided the BC with a copy of his surgical report. About 2 weeks later I got a certified letter from him providing more detail about the surgery which he asked me to forward to the BC - which I did. I discussed letter and the surgical report again on two separate occasions with two different midwives at the center (one of which is the "head midwife/director" who delivered my DD 3 years ago) going over the chances of uterine rupture after this type of surgery and such. Both told me they saw no problems and that I was not classified as a VBAC patient.

So now the best I can hope for is a hospital in a different town that allows VBACS. They don't have tubs and you can't bring a pool (I checked) Water was the ONLY thing that got me thorough my first birth at the same birth center 3 years ago. Also this hospital is know for high interventions according to the local doulas and rated the least favorite by local doulas.

I know everyone will advise me to have a home birth and I'm stressed about that because (1) If two OB's are telling me that I can't possibly deliver vaginally after this uterine surgery then I don't want to risk it since we live over an hour from the hospital. (2) Homebirth is not "legal" in NC and starting a search now and this late date for a midwife seems overwhelming. Can I even find a midwife that would deliver after two OB's say c-section only?

I'm sad and rambling here because I can't sleep over this and hope that my post is coherent. I was worried that this was going to happen. I REALLLLLLLY don't was a c-section for a million different reasons.

I'm pissed that they have waited until now to tell me.

I'm freaked that my best hope is for a hospital birth. Without water.

What to do?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. How sad that your midwives are backing out of what they probably know to be a safe and normal delivery, b/c of pressure from the doc. Typical. I would really spend a lot of energy trying to find another hospital/birthcenter that does VBACs (even though you aren't really VBAC). I know a lot of midwives who would take a client even if the drs say c-sec. Maybe you can look around, but if you aren't comfortable w/homebirth, maybe that's not the route for you. If you do find a hosp. where you can birth vaginally, but can't do a waterbirth, can you at least be in the shower? DO you have good support people? I know you said the water is what helped you get through last time, but remember even without the tub, you can still do it! You are strong and capable, you can have your baby vaginally! No one can MAKE you do anything you don't want to do. They may guilt trip you, threaten you, belittle you, etc, but if your baby is doing fine, don't let them do anything you don't want.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Find a homebirth midwife. They are out there. I have done several VBACs and in VA, unless you walk in the hospital pushing, you end up with another section. So I would have the baby at home. You should NOT have to go thru major surgery just because of a former fibroid....PS, if i remember correctly being pg helps delay the formaation of fibroids....They should have been honest with you and not strung yuo along like that....

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I live in NC and having a hb is not illegal, but the person attending your birth could get slapped with a misdimeaner. There are a lot of lay midwives and 2 CNMs who do home births that I know of. I am curious which BC you were going to since there are only 2 in the state. I am using the one in Chaple Hill. If you are close to Bear Creek there is a great CNM who does HBs but she only travels 1 hour away. I know of another CNM but I don't know where she lives or how far she travels. But like I said there are quite a few HBMWs who are CPMs and do many HBs, it would just depend on where you live.

Now, if you don't want a HB then I would look into the other BC in the state. From where I live the first BC is an hour and 45 min away, the second is 2 1/2 hours away. So if you live in the right area you could try going to the other BC.

Also, I would be so pissed if I were in your situation. There has to be someone you can complain to! They let you go 22 weeks with them before they decided to tell you you can't birth there, when nothing has change. I am wondering if the MWs just never talked to their OB backup about your condition until recently. They assumed it would be ok, but the OB said it wasn't.

Now that I think about it you probably aren't using my BC because they allow for VBACs if you had a pervious labor / transfer from their center. However, they don't accept new VBAC patients because they were getting overloaded with VBACs. But I don't know if they would consider yours a true VBAC or not.

Anyways, I wouldn't choose to NOT have a HB simply because two OBs are saying you can't VBAC. Unless your incision is in a bad spot your chances of rupturing are something like 1%, if not lower. I would talk to a HBMW and show her your medical records and see what she says. You are more likely to get an honest answer from her rather than a cut happy OB. A MW is going to want you to have a HB but if the risks are too high they will be honest with you about them.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
if YOU are set on not having a home birth, why don't you find a different hospital with fewer intrerventions? or do you think no OB will take you on this late in the pregnancy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.