Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot get my 35 month old boy to stop hitting/pushing/kicking my 15 month old girl! I really try not to be a punitive parent, and try to respond to both of them w/compassion, but it is really getting old! I have to constantly be w/them, I risk her getting hurt (although she hasn't gotten injured badly or anything) every time I try to do anything that requires me to walk away (like fix food or use the bathroom). I find myself yelling quite a bit, not that it helps.

They both participate in a new sport you may have heard about, it is called "Competitive Nursing". The girl used to always win, but more recently they are on even ground (change in my attitude now that she is on solids and has gained weight). This "game" doesn't help, but at least now that he is getting a fairer shake I hope it will help.

He has come up to her twice recently when I was holding her after she nursed to sleep and said, "I just love baby", and they do have fun, but even when things are going swimmingly, sometimes he will just haul off and push her down! And almost always, if he happens to be walking past her, he will just push her down as he walks past!

We are at the end of our rope with this!

Yesterday the two were sitting on the floor and the boy sort of kicked her. My dh told him not to kick her. All of a sudden, the girl scooted a little closer to him, leaned back a bit, and just started kicking him with both little feet as fast as she could. It was all I could do not to
. But seriously, I don't want this to turn into a free for all!

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tracy

· Registered
1,509 Posts
Hi,
I can totally relate to how frustrated you must feel since I was totally there a year or so ago! My boys are 19 months apart and when they were about the same age as your LOs they constantly were fighting. It drove me insane and unfortunately I didn't really find a solution. I can say it gets A LOT better, at least it has for us. I think a big reason for it at that age is that they both are trying to work through strong emotions and physically acting out at each other is their first strategy. Hopefully some wiser mamas will have some solid solutions for you. Hang in there!
SJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.