Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am the person who posted about possible 2V CI on my US pics...I finally heard back from the OB/Midwife office today..1 week after the US.

Here is what I was told..

This is X from Dr. Y's office, calling about your US results.

1) The US tech couldn't get a good visualization of the left hand. (OK, I already knew this, as the US tech and I were joking about it, because the hand was balled into a fist and turned the wrong direction..so no big deal. I figured they would just leave it be, as she saw 4 knuckles and a thumb, and earlier scans showed the fingers and toes fine at the Nuchal US.)

2) Dr. X would like you back in 4 weeks for a Fetal Growth Scan. We scheduled it for 9/5 at 8:50..and she also went a head and scheduled my Midwife apt. for that week as well at 8:20 (that would be the apt. I would have set after the one next week anyways).

She didn't tell me or explain WHY they wanted to do a Fetal Growth Scan at my next apt...33 weeks (big diagnostic US was done at 31 weeks). I know 1) possible 2 vessel cord; 2) Baby is measuring large - but I have a known history with them of large babies (DS1 born with different OB was 9 pounds 2 ounces, 23 inches at 42 weeks 5 days; DS2 born with them was 9 pounds 15 1/2 ounces, 22 inches at 42 weeks exactly; history of this pregnancies - EDD based upon 1st tri US 10/10 - conception 1/17 so I already know baby is measuring big by at least 1 day at this point in time as unprotected intercourse didn't happen until 1/18 and any sex prior to that would not have produced a 1/17 conception date...again at the Nuchal US I was by edd 13 w 1 d, by Nuchal US I was 13 w 3 d...at 31 weeks I was measuring 33 w some odd days).

I have my next Midwife apt. on 8/22, so I will definately ask than. But I am just wondering why all of a sudden with this pregnancy they are wanting to do a Fetal Growth US at 35 weeks....and are not saying anything as to why when they called to set it up. I am not sure, but I kind of got the impression that the nurse wasn't saying something (but I also know that sometimes nurses are not allowed to give out certain information as well for liability purposes over the phone).

With DS2 (delivered with same practice) I didn't have any Fetal Growth US's. I had the normal DX one done at around 25 weeks, then a couple of times after due date to determine if breach as midwife suspected. Then I think I also had a biophysical profile done at 41 w 3d..but nothing for growth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BetsyS:

I have not been told I have a 2 cord vessel, or anything. I am only guess that I have it, because the US pics show 2V CI when she was looking at the umbilical cord. Also, she had it in her notes at the end, and when it came to the question about 3V Cord Present, she didn't put yes (Cannot remember if it was No or 2V CI)...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,078 Posts
Perhaps it is a precautionary measure. They are not positive of a 2V cord so they don't say anything, but want to check growth, just in case?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JanetF
To give them a reason to ask you to schedule a c-sec for their convenience?
Umm, unless the have forgotten about 17 months ago with DS2, I highly doubt that. I refused to make a decision about c-section or induction until I reached 42 weeks exactly...then I didn't have to worry about it, because he came 6 hours before my scheduled appointment at the Midwife's office.

I would intentionally skip any required c-section apt, and stay home and wait till the baby came on its own and deliver at home.

I am not too worried about fetal growth, even if the growth slows down, I am measuring so far ahead (2 w 3 d on average) that it wouldn't hurt much. I would also refuse induction, unless absolutely medically necessary. Neither a c-section or induction would be performed (unless immediate danger - ie no fetal movement and US showed a problem) without getting a second opinion from a person in a different practice.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top