Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,<br><br>
I'm 35 weeks pregnant and I've found out I've got gardnerella (bacterial vaginosis). I know it's nothing really serious but the dr has prescribed a course of antibiotics (metronizadol oral tablets) and I am a bit uncomfortable with taking antibiotics during pregnancy...<br>
I know it's meant to be safe, especially at this stage of the pregnancy, but I thought maybe someone out there had had the same problem and could share their experiences and perhaps reassure me a little...<br><br>
I know the risk of having a premature delivery (the main reason for treating this infection during pregnancy) is quite low, but I don't think I could sit back and "hope" I don't have a premature delivery...<br><br>
Anyway, please let me know you opinion/experience in this subject.<br><br>
Thanks!!!<br><br>
Mnv.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi again, op here again.<br><br>
Forgot to mention that after talking to my dr, I asked her whether vaginal tablets were also a good option (for some reason I feel a bit better about something that is locally applied, and I think the dose of antibiotics is probably lower - am I right?), and although she didn't think it was as effective, she suggested Dalacin vaginal tablets (clindamycin phospate 100mg) instead of the metronizadol.<br><br>
What do you think is the better option?<br><br>
Thanks again for your thoughts/opinions.<br><br>
Mnv.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I used a clindamycin vaginal cream (I was 12 weeks pregnant) and it worked perfectly for me. When I researched it, (I could be remembering incorrectly) I thought that clindamycin vaginally was the preferred method of treatment? I believe the cream I used was called "clindamax"

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I just got Dxed with BV a few weeks ago, at 17 weeks. I did go ahead and take the antibiotics b/c of how early it was in my pregnancy. I'm kind of wishing I hadn't done it b/c it left me with oral thrush, which is so nasty! For me, it was a hard decision, but I thought if I could get rid of it now then maybe I could do something to keep it from returning. I've started taking probiotics, but only half of the dose b/c that also makes me a little nervous, and I've been eating lots of plain yogurt. I don't want to sound insensitive b/c I know preterm labor is not what you want, but you are close to the end and the risk is small. I don't know what I would do if it returns, but I think the fact that you are so far along is something to consider.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts