Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I had it much earlier with Konur, but I just yesterday started having swollen ankles and noticed my face was a little puffy. I have to stay low risk for a HB so I am worried about pre-eclampsia, I know swelling can be a sign. Why did it take so long this time? Other than putting my feet up (and for how long?) what can I do to stop it? I see my MW tomorrow for an appt. I also have been gaining only 2 pounds a month my second and third trimesters and I just gained 7 this month! What is that all about? Could it be water gain from this swelling? I have been extra hungry the last week, too.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
hey mama

I would say call your provider and have your b/p checked. I have very sever edema in the ankles at the end of my pregnancies, which is normal, but my midwives always said that edema in the hands or face could indicate a problem.

And, I don't mean to bring you down but.........I never really found anything to help it. Keeping your feet up as much as possible during the day helps a bit but I still had elephant ankles.

I did the same...........I gained 10lbs in my last month.......all water weight. Watch your MSG intake but other than that, drink water, stay hydrated, and see if your DH will wait on you while you keep your tootsies up.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I called my MW and she assured me that with the sudden raise in temp and humidity here, there was nothing to worry about. She gave me some tips to help though. I will see! I am seeing her tomorrow night for my appt.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey fellow Michigander!

She said to go for a brisk walk everyday to get my circulation going.
Drink plenty of water, more than usual.
Elevate my feet 2-3 times a day, above my heart.
Increase my intake of protein
Soak my feet in cool water

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
How about salt? Does that help?

From what I know, which isn't that much, swollen ankles are not much of a worry. It's when your face gets all puffy that there might be more of a problem. Pitting edema is no good, either. That's when you poke your leg and a little dent appears and takes a few seconds to go away.

I swell up when it gets really hot here, too.

A protein snack every two hours is helpful, as is salt. I always seem to want more when it is hot and I'm drinking a lot of water. When it cools off, I stop using it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Hera!

I will ask my MW about salt when she is here tonight for our appointment. I am so nervous cause its the first time she will be here. I want the house to be spotless so I have 6 hours to get the place all neat and tidy!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Disclaimer: Check with MW before doing!

I've taken parsley before for edema.

My favorite thing right now is to eat more WATERMELON! It is a natural diuretic and I find I crave it.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
My mantra (for my last pregnancy) went something like:
water water water
protien protien protien
salt salt salt
(cheer with me lol)
And I did not have nearly the swelling/edema I did with my first two pregnacies. Towards the last few weeks my ankles would be swollen by the end of the day but I accepted it as more par for the course.
Yep getting your circulation moving helps too and yeah, humidity is awful for swelling. I'll probably be living indoors this summer LOL.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Protein? Have you heard of Dr Brewers blue ribbon baby diet? I don't know if it helps with swelling, but I found cucumbers to be helpful with highish blood pressure.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Laura, I have heard of it and am following it, sorta! I am a vegetarian, so it's a little harder but I do eat lots of protein. I just wonder if my extra protein this pregnancy has lead to this "big" baby I seem to be growing here.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Please please please take your blood pressure some where soon. Pitting Edema and swelling of the face and hands can be a sign of pre-eclampsia. Please check out
www.preeclampsia.org for a list of symptoms and risk factors.
Gossamer

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YEP, thank-you! She took it the next day and it was a little high but good. 130/90. I raised to that with Konur in the last month, too.

Oh, and no more swelling! The weather broke here and its much cooler.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts