Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hey there, I am really upset... just found out I am GBS+ today (I tested neg in my other 2 pregnancies). I am planning a VBAC (my second, I had a HBAC last time) and the plan was to have my doctor strip my membranes if I went to "long" (this is what my MW did last time and I went into labor the next day, I had my DS2 at 42+5 weeks). This time, my doc is letting me go to 42 weeks. My first child was a c/s after failed induction at 41 weeks. I want another VBAC more than anything!!! Having another HB is not an option, esp b/c the insurance I have this time will not cover it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What are my choices if I am GBS+? The doc I saw today (I see a few at the practice) said we will play it by ear (when I asked if they would still strip my membranes), but if they didn't do that they would induce me. I am scared to be induced (for obvious reasons, but mostly b/c it increases risk of rupture... I do have a friend who had 2 VBACs with the same practice at the same hospital and they gave her pitocin and she was just fine (and VBACs were successful) but it scares me bad! And now knowing I am GBS+ I am scared to do the membrane sweep even though I know many women have done it while GBS+ and all was fine.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What is my best course of action? I want another VBAC sooooooo bad! I wouldn't be so worried but I tend to go late and my doc has said 42 weeks is the cutoff. So scared I'm gonna end up with another c/s! Anyone else attempt a VBAC while GBS+?</p>

·
Registered
263 Posts
<p>Option 1: Trust you body that it will go into labor with or without people manipulating your business.</p>
<p>Option 2: Find out what the rules are for  GBS+ at your place of birth.</p>
<p>Option 3: Keep all fingers, speculums etc out of your business from now until after baby arrives.</p>
<p>Option 4:  Have prostaglandin relations to help ripen, soften and encourage labor. </p>
<p>Option 5:  If your membrane rupture no prostaglandin relations, fingers, or other stuff in your business, rinse after toileting with Hibclense.</p>
<p>Option 7: Find out what the protocol is for baby at the place your birthing at.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1 Posts
<p>A few things:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Doctors don't "let," they can't legally force you into anything. Your body, your baby.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>No pit, period. You're better off having your membranes swept. The risk of infection from GBS is minimal. I had my first VBAC in October, and my midwife ended up breaking my water to allow baby girls head to really press on my cervix.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Primrose oil capsules, three a day orally, and 3 vaginally as well.  Primrose oil is excellent for softening the cervix.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts