Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I hope you haven't gone to the hospital yet! Same thing happened to me with my first baby, so with my second pregnancy, I was totally prepared in case it happened again. First, calm down, everything is ok. If you agree to any sort of internal vaginal exam, you then are at risk of infection. If you don't, it's unlikely that you will get an infection in the next 24 hours. Once you open the door for any interventions... well, you know what is likely to hapen. Watch yourself for signs of any infection. If you get a fever, or feel like you have the flu, go to the hospital. In most cases, it's safe to wait it out. How much water did you lose? I lost huge gushes of water, but my sac hadn't actually ruptured. Are you leaking little bits of water? A huge gush? Is your baby still moving around? What are your instincts telling you? Do you think you should worry or not? Really, honestly, listen to your gut feelings. If deep down you think everything is ok, trust that feeling. Don't let the doctors scare you into going to the hospital before labor starts!!! They will start the clock ticking and you will be induced if you do not progress fast enough for them. My midwives told me that if my water were to break before labor started, that they would give me 36-48 hours to see what happens before doing anything at all. They told me to just keep it clean, nothing inside the vagina at all (that includes midwives' and doctor's hands). They said that they'd probably want me to take antibiotics after the first 24 hours, just in case, but that it was my right to refuse to take it if I didn't feel it was needed. ((((HUGS)))) You'll meet your new baby real soon! How exciting!

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I'd definitely hold back before going in to the hospital unless something points to an issue that needs to be monitored closely or needs antibiotics. Monitoring your temp might offer some reassurance. Nothing vaginally. Drink lots of fluids, esp water, and do kick counts.

I hope that your contractions start soon and your labor is smooth and

·
Registered
384 Posts
Could be a high leak and "re-seal".
Nothing inside you - no fingers, speculums, tampons...wipe front to back, eat well, drink lots, take extra vitamin C, have someone listen to your baby if you'd like (can use a empty toilet paper roll if they can't hear her/him with thier ear) and sleep.

I would say, don't go in unless you are worried or GBS positive. They will want to do an exam, probably with a sterile speculum to determine if your waters really has broken, and monitor you and give you antibiotics. But if your waters has broken, its important to remember that you are immune to your own germs. You're definitely not immune to the bugs in the hospital.

Wishing you lots of sleep and good, clear direction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.