Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be concerned? My baby is very low, lower than my others were, but my others were both 9 1/2 pounds. My midwife didn't say anything. It worries me I could be growing a smaller baby -- that would be weird as nothing has been done differently this time around. Should I call her back? Would you be worried?

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm not a midwife, a doula, or a CBE, but I saw this in New Posts and wanted to respond...

My DD also never measured above 33 or 34 weeks, even when I was 41 wks pg! DD was very very very low, (I swear I was walking around at a +1 for 20 weeks!
) and she came out at 7 lb 5 oz, same size as her brother over 3 years prior, and with whom I did measure larger closer to term.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response -- I know he is so much lower than my other guys were -- thy would stick their bottoms in my ribs and this guy is like an inch from my ribs! I feel like he is spreading my hips wishbone style. I did put a call in to my midwife, so I will see what she says. I guess my big worry would be oligohydramnios.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I am not a mw either but as pp said saw this one the new pots search.

All of my 3 kiddos have measured smaller than my weeks, and they where 7.5 to 8.1 LBS.

With my first I think my mw was a little concerned butbeing everything was perfect didnt worry about it. With the next 2 she knew that its normal for me.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She called back and I am still not entirely comfortable, especially since she checked and said last week I also measured 34 -- but it was a different midwife -- do the measurements vary from person to person?

She said up until week 36 you are expected to be 2 either way, and last week I was. She said after 36 weeks it's not really accurate as babies start to drop, and I know this baby is low and has been for a long time. I also only gained 1.5 pounds since last week. I know the weight slows down, too, at the end.

I am going to call a dear friend who is a retired granny midwife and see what she says. I am a worrier, if you haven't noticed.

·
Registered
764 Posts
i stalled measured at 34 weeks (from 35 weeks until 39, i think). dd was just squished back and inside, trying to get at my kidneys. part of it was being measured by a whole host of different measurers. part of it was just how i carried. i wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I seldom read this board, but just happened upon this...and I tell you this only because I do wish I had known during this last pregnancy.

I measured really small in the third trimester, week after week. My first baby was only 5lb7oz, so I didn't worry, and mostly, neither did my midwives. We figured the babe was just another pipsqueak like my first. Then, I went to 41 weeks and had an ultrasound to check fluid, and the baby was TEENY. Really teeny. Under 5 lbs, and with a placenta that was barely letting anything through. They said she had stopped growing at 34 weeks. I was sure of my dates. We went off to L&D and tried induction, but the baby was not strong enough (tons of decels), and I ended up with a c-section. She was 4lb11oz -- healthy but so small for a post-date babe. After a week of hypoglycemia she was fine, and at 3 months, she's already about 11 pounds, so all's well that ends well, but still...

If I had known all along that this was happening, I think I'd have tried an induction earlier, to do it more gently (this was one walloping dose of pitocin, an effort to get her out quick) over more time. It may be worth doing an ultrasound to check...obviously that's between you and your midwives/doctors, but I wish I'd done it.

I hope the measurements are wrong for you, truly I do. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.