Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I don't know if this is pre-labor jitters or actual doubt about the name we've chosen. We have five kids, so we've used up ten names already. The first name we chose is very similar to my MIL's maiden name; we like to use family names when we can. I work from home PT for our church entering religious education registrations so I can see all the names of the kids in our parish, and I've come across quite a few with the name we've chosen. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that...but I do have two women in my knitting group alone with daughters who have that name, so it seems a little weird to me to use it. I do love the name, though, and DH says he likes it but it doesn't click as The One. We both think that's because we've already used The One on one of our other three girls. :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm just rambling, looking for BTDT moms, I guess. I do have two names that I am in love with but DH doesn't care for them, so I won't push it. </p>

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
<p>If you love the name, go for it.  I don't think it should matter if kids at your church have that name; your daughter will go many places in her life, she won't always be around that same group of people, but she'll have her name for life.  It sounds like you like the family name connection too.  Maybe this is just jitters--trust yourself and the decision you made.</p>

·
Registered
804 Posts
<p>we changed names empending the date ( didn't have that gender so it didn't really matter).... and I really doubted ds1's name for weeks after we named him... but it was his name and we really liked it but were getting some oppostion.......</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>if you love the name go with it, or maybe you'll meet baby and you'll understand why you weren't feeling that name as they don't suit it.. I wouldn't stress too much about it until your going on weeks with no name for baby....</p>

·
Registered
591 Posts
<p>Go with what you like.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've always done my best to try to stay off of the Top Names list, but that seems to change right after I name my kids, lol.  And, even though I grew up in the Jennifer days, I still had other Carries (of various spellings) in my classes, and I went to a relatively small school.  Heck, we have repeated names in our VERY small homeschool group!  Unless you're going for *highly* unique, you're going to run into shared names here and there.  Might as well be something you love!</p>

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
<p>IIf it was me, I'd wait until the baby was born and then decide what name, but for me, everything becomes clearer when I look at the child. You just never know about the popularity of names sometimes. The girls names are in the 50's but DD1's is actually way more popular with all the various spellings. She goes to a very small school that DD2 will go to, there are 3 other children in DD2's age group (siblings of classmates) that will be in her class eventually that have her same name. Really! A normal class is like 1/2 grade is 15 kids, all grades are combined. I never would of guessed. </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts