Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm in central Illinois and they are VERY common here. There are even business set up to do these (not doctor office). They do different packages 10, 20, or 30 minute ultrasounds. It seems a bit invasive to me. I wouldn't do it, but that is my HO.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
the FDA "cautions" against them - <a href="http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/104_images.html" target="_blank">http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/104_images.html</a>

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Yeah, there are businesses set up to do them here, too.<br><br>
I would not have one, in large part because of the FDA caution. I kinda figure that by the time the FDA gets around to saying something might be a problem it not only is a problem, but likely of a greater scope that we can imagine. Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I agree with Dena, by the time the FDA takes a stance on something..that thing has been known to be a risk for quite some time!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I had a brief 3-D at my doctor's with my nuchal fold scan just to see a different view, etc, but it lasted about three minutes and was very fast. I would never go to one of those keepsake places- that sort of freaks me out. It is really different than regular ultrasound and it feels sort of odd- like I could feel little pulses being sent into my stomach. I wasn't overly comfortable with the process, which was why it was so short.

·
Registered
348 Posts
There's a place in my mother's town that you can have one done, but I won't be getting one. I have a hard enough time with the safety of regular ultrasounds.

·
Banned
278 Posts
I had two done with my son... and I LOVED it. I'm actually having two done with this baby... one in about a week or so. We normally try to get our first one done at 16 weeks... and then another at about 32 weeks... If you want pictures of them let me know I can post them... They are wonderful!!!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
We went to Mexico last time to get a u/s since we were unassisted. They tried to do a 4D on us, but the baby was too large and squashed at 30 weeks to get a good look. If you want to do it, I would do it a bit earlier.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
i think the pics are kindof freaky, lol.... my personal opinion is that i dont want to know what my baby looks like before he/she is born, so i wont be having one of those, even though there are places that do them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts