Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice. My 3mo.old ds has had a horrible cough and congested nose for about 4days. Has had low grade fever last night,but ok today. Nasal discharge is mostly clear,but once in a while is greenish. Right eye has some discharge from it today and is tearing. His attitude is fine today but cranky yesterday. Has red raised diaper rash since yesterday (never had rash before) Also has rash on face (prone to break outs)<br><br>
Went to dr. on Weds. night, was told lungs sound clear,ears clear. Possible virus, maybe RSV. Any info on this? Was given script for Amoxi and was told to fill if his nasal discharge became thick. Also was given some Albuteral and told to use if sounding wheezy.<br><br>
So far, I have just been using humidifier and nasal spray for congestion. Keeping him upright as much as possible. I am concerned about his discharge from his eye and also his cough/congestion turning to bronchitis which he has had before.<br><br>
He is breastfed exclusively and nonvaccinated. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Breastmilk is wonderfully for eye infections. I'd try that for the eye.<br><br>
It sounds like you are doing mostly everything that you can. I find that a vaporizer works a little bit better than a humidifier because I can put it close enough for my dd to actually breathe in the vapor and help thin her secretions.<br><br>
With the exception of the fever... it sounds like part of it could be reflux. You may want to try watching what you eat. You can find a lot of great reflux info at KellyMom.com<br><br>
As far as the meds... if it is RSV, I don't suppose that the antibiotics will help a bit. If the nasal discharge is mainly clear and he's breathing ok...I'd hold off on giving him anything. They can test his nasal secretions for RSV if you are worried about that.<br><br>
Mainly, if he starts really having trouble breathing... i.e. wheezing, poor color, retractions (nasal flaring or sucking in the areas between the ribs)... then take him to the ER. RSV can be really bad, but it sounds like you are doing a great job at home!<br><br>
Hope he feels better soon!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts