Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm 37 weeks with my 3rd after an 8 year hiatus (apparently that spread puts me squarely back in first time mama status for the birth!!)

Since the first of the month I've had strong, regular contractions in fits and spurts...like 2 days of 5-10 minutes apart...then nothing for a few days besides normal BH...then this weekend I thought for sure it was on again! it's exhausting physically and mentally. Heard this can go on for weeks. Anyone else experiencing this or has in the past? how long did it last? Help!

Maya

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hi!

I'm 37 weeks with my 3rd after an 8 year hiatus (apparently that spread puts me squarely back in first time mama status for the birth!!)

Since the first of the month I've had strong, regular contractions in fits and spurts...like 2 days of 5-10 minutes apart...then nothing for a few days besides normal BH...then this weekend I thought for sure it was on again! it's exhausting physically and mentally. Heard this can go on for weeks. Anyone else experiencing this or has in the past? how long did it last? Help!

Maya
I am also baking #3 after an almost 8-year break. I've had clusters of contractions for ages with this pregnancy. Sometimes all day for a day or two, sometimes it comes on in the afternoon and lasts all night. I finally decided it was just an irritable uterus. When it happens I try to drink a couple of glasses of water since being dehydrated can make it worse. Then I soak in a warm tub, lay down, or whatever I need to cope. I figure either it will continue into labor or it will stop on it's own. Not much I can do about it.

In your case, you're already near the end so that puts you in the mindset that any one of these "dry runs" could turn into the real thing. Just try to tune it out as one of those normal end of pregnancy things. It won't happen until it happens and you won't know when that is until you're in the middle of it anyway.

As far as the physical exhaustion: that's part of it too. It it wasn't contractions, it would be a lack of sleep, or reflux, or feeling crushed by the baby (or all of the above). :p This last month just sucks hindquarters no matter what's going on, really. Hang in there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am also baking #3 after an almost 8-year break. I've had clusters of contractions for ages with this pregnancy. Sometimes all day for a day or two, sometimes it comes on in the afternoon and lasts all night. I finally decided it was just an irritable uterus. When it happens I try to drink a couple of glasses of water since being dehydrated can make it worse. Then I soak in a warm tub, lay down, or whatever I need to cope. I figure either it will continue into labor or it will stop on it's own. Not much I can do about it.

In your case, you're already near the end so that puts you in the mindset that any one of these "dry runs" could turn into the real thing. Just try to tune it out as one of those normal end of pregnancy things. It won't happen until it happens and you won't know when that is until you're in the middle of it anyway.

As far as the physical exhaustion: that's part of it too. It it wasn't contractions, it would be a lack of sleep, or reflux, or feeling crushed by the baby (or all of the above). :p This last month just sucks hindquarters no matter what's going on, really. Hang in there.
Thanks for the kind words! It's an exercise. Letting go for sure! He will come when he's ready!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.