Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm 37 weeks with my 3rd after an 8 year hiatus (apparently that spread puts me squarely back in first time mama status for the birth!!)

Since the first of the month I've had strong, regular contractions in fits and spurts...like 2 days of 5-10 minutes apart...then nothing for a few days besides normal BH...then this weekend I thought for sure it was on again! it's exhausting physically and mentally. Heard this can go on for weeks. Anyone else experiencing this or has in the past? how long did it last? Help!

Maya

cross posted in November dd club because i'm on the cusp!

·
Registered
197 Posts
YES! Was just thinking about a post on this! 38 weeks with DD#2, and I've had bouts of prodromal labor for the past week. Contrax 4-5 minutes apart, definitely different from Braxton Hicks - painful with strong downward pressure, lasting several hours, growing in intensity but then petering out just as I think "This is it!" It's so frustrating! I've also had diarrhea for a week - it's like my body geared up and stalled out.

My baby wiggles frantically during these episodes - I assume she's trying to get into position and have been trying Spinning Babies exercises just to feel like I'm doing something.

I'm going in for twice-weekly monitoring; and every visit the doc is surprised I haven't delivered yet, but then she gives the "it could be tonight, it could be two weeks" speech. Argghh! Yesterday she suggested taking oral evening primrose oil to (maybe) help ripen the cervix.

Hang in there, mama! Let's just hope we're getting some work out of the way early, and the actual labor and birth will be swift!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's exhausting. Today was just a big sob fest. And an exercise in letting go! Thanks for the kind encouragement!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sending you ladies love and hugs! The tearing pains I get in the middle of the night or with activity make me sympathetic. I have been using the experience / time for meditation. Distinct transitions are so much easier! Next level skills unlocked :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm 4 days overdue and had a full day of this! Thought it could be it and nope, nothing. I've had nothing more and I'm comfortable and feel like baby is no closer to being here. It's hard.

·
Registered
197 Posts
How's it going, Maya and other mamas? Going crazy with start/stop labor over here, one week til due date but we're on pins and needles! Our parents are calling/texting constantly.

Was encouraged on Thursday to learn I am 4cm dilated - at least these contractions are doing something! It took 15 hours of labor to get to 4cm with my first, so I can only hope it's a head start.

Just thinking about you all and hoping real labor comes soon and smoothly!

·
Registered
179 Posts
4 dates past due date...thought I was having baby Friday after evening started out with nausea and more painful cramps, contractions and backache...but, nothing more happened and I fell asleep. I am just waiting for some sign of progress! I know the baby will come when it is ready and I am glad to have a midwife who believes this...but, waiting is hard!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought for sure I'd be in full throes today after being woken by regular and strong contractions at 2 this morning...they lasted until 10, through my three mile walk, then fizzled out. I'm 38.1 lmp/39 us and cannot imagine, nor want to, going postdate in this manner. It's exhausting and despairing. I'm trying to stay patient and positive but I'm so very tired and tonight he feels like he's trying to exit through my belly with his crazy movements. I'm trying to help him position himself through optimal positioning techniques and I also did some belly binding today...we shall see. I feel for you mamas. It's tough. Love and light.

M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts