Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my first two, I had pretty long labors. The first I don't count much because I had medwives in the hospital, I never wanted to go to the hospital, and after laboring at home for a while, doing just fine, labor stalled when we got ready to go to the hospital. Ended up w/ a medical birth, difficulties afterwards.

2nd pregnancy 2 years later, convinced dh for a homebirth. Had a doula (should have the first time). And while I was completely comfortable with birthing at home, baby was planned/wanted, etc., I had off & on labor for a weekend, then labored for almost 24 hours, with lots of time pushing (ineffectively) at the end. Very difficult at the end, but still way better than what happened the first time.

3rd pregnancy more than 3 years later. I wonder if there is some part of me that is making labor take so long. I've known since the first pregnancy that I wanted to use a birthing stool, but did not. I've asked my doula to be on the look out for one for this time & plan to ask my MW if they have one for me to use this time. I think birthing, at least at the end, on a stool will help.

So, what would you do to prepare yourself for this time? I took hypnobirthing the first time as a formal class, worked once with a hypnotherapist/hypnobirthing teacher for the last birth. I labored without much pain until the real pushing began w/ my 2nd. I'd like to clear my mind, whatever I need to do to not impede this labor & delivery.

TIA,
Sus

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I've heard that 3rd labors are often different anyway, so maybe you'll go faster this time regardless? A friend of mine had her third recently, and while the first two had been 18+ hours (I think one may have been 30 hours?), this one was 1.5 hours! She was shocked!

But definitely do whatever your body is telling you to do. I know in both of my labors, my body was *screaming* to be upright. First labor was in the hospital with PPROM and archaic hospital policies about no walking once your water has broken.
While my labor didn't stall, it was quite a bit more painful because I was laying down and really wanted to be upright. Second labor was out-of-hospital... twice as long (but still "short"), and it was much less painful as I labored on a birthing stool. If the toilet is your happy place during labor, you'll LOVE the birthing stool.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.