Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful 19 pound 4.5 month old baby boy who has been exclusively breastfed. I visited our doctor today and she said I should start iron-fortified cereal now and introduce vegetables next month. Whooaa. I was going to wait until he was at least 6 months to start anything. I'm just going by WHO recommendations and what Dr. Newman says. Any advice?

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Any advice?</td>
</tr></table></div>
Yeah, Find a new Dr. Or you could contiune to go to her but let what ever that Dr says go in one ear and out the other.<br><br>
Your baby will let you know when its ready for food.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
neither of those things is as nutritious as your milk.<br>
it's surprising (and sad) how many pedes know nothing about breastfeeding

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I wondered about the doctor's words - I thought it was out-dated advice. Sorry my first post wasn't too clear- the baby was sitting on my lap and getting hungry!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just had the same discussion with my ped. At four months, he told me to get her on cereal -- because it's fun.<br><br>
He also asked me several times if I was supplementing.<br><br>
How do you supplement perfection -- and why?<br><br>
I changed peds the next day.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
The American Academy of Pediatrics is on your side too:<br><br>
"In the first 6 months, water, juice, and other foods are generally unnecessary for breastfed infants."<br><br><a href="http://www.aap.org/policy/re9729.html" target="_blank">http://www.aap.org/policy/re9729.html</a>

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i'd stick to 6 months, and not a minute before!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'd stick to whenever your babe shows interest. As late as 12 months is not uncommon at all. I'd find a new doc. Even if you decide to keep her and let her advice go in one ear and out the other, it gets very tiring to deal with the pressure. What if your babe is 8 or 9 months and still not interested, your doc is going to be pressuring you in a BIG way.<br><br>
My doc is very bfing friendly -nursed her own dd for 3 yrs and was totally cool when my 2nd refused to eat solids until 22 months. I was freaking out to say the least, but my doc felt confident that she was fine and to keep on nursing. And she was fine and now a healthy 6 yr old. It made such a difference having a supportive doctor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts