Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suction out his nose almost daily by squirting sterile saline solution and suctioning with a suction bulb. The congestion often makes it hard for him to nurse and sleep.

What could be the cause?

He's never had any vaccines or drugs. He is completely breastfed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My first thought is he could be sensative to something you are eating (first guess-dairy). Many times food sensativities will mask themselves in sinus/respiratory/skin conditions, slong with GI troublrs as well.
Hope you can find the cause! Hugs to you and your little one

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Another vote for dairy. I would cut all dairy, and see if it helps. It can take 2-3 weeks for you to see the difference. When my DS was 3 months everything I ate bothered him. I cut out dairy wheat and soy and it made the world of difference. Around 6 months I could start adding things back.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Does he seem to spit up a lot or have a gurgly voice? Reflux is another cause for stuffy noses in babies. I too would cut out dairy but also try to keep him elevated after feeding if you can.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Any chance of mold hiding in your house? All of my family's sinuses have gotten so much better since we moved out of our apt.
Where would I look for mold? Was the mold in your apartment obvious?

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
i would suggest for you to cut out all dairy and all nuts except almonds (but make sure they have not been in contact with peanuts).

THIS MUST BE DONE FOR AT LEAST THREE WEEKS TO SEE ANY RESULTS;

DIARY WILL REMAIN IN BREAST MILK FOR THREE WEEKS.

sorry all caps - typing one handed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
my babe was congested for the first month, until it was suggested to me that i stop suctioning. the constant bulb insertion just further irritates that delicate nasal passage tissue and exascerbates the congestion.

·
Registered
218 Posts
another vote for cutting out dairy -- and also for giving it at least 3 weeks to work. We found that it was causing/contributing to reflux, which was contributing to the stuffiness. I was amazed at the results!
Best wishes!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I would cut out dairy and if that dosn't help have a through exam of the mouth/throut done by a doctor. My DD was/is always congested, she had reflux and milk would come out her nose(after almost every feed). It ended up that she has a minor cleft pallet - it's not a serios serios problem but the sooner it is detected the better because constant congestion can lead to ear problems as well.
I hope that it is just an allergy, but though that this is worth mentioning

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My dd was on reflux meds for 14 months before I discovered probiotics. When she finally went on that (I think it was the Country Life? powder from Whole Foods, now we just use the GNC chewables), she was able to go off of her meds w/ no problem.

Before the probiotics, every time we would do a trial of no meds, her very first symptom would be a stuffy nose. Then gradually it would progress to spitting up and choking. I'm not sure exactly how, but attribute most of her issues to the antibiotics I had in labor (yuck, never again).

·
Registered
681 Posts
My baby was congested every morning. I had to suction her twice a day. I have cut out dairy for 2 weeks and I have already seen an improvement in her.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.