Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Yup....your right....he did meet the height requirement.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starr
I thought the article said he did meet the 44" requirement? no?
It did, but I heard on NPR this morning that he didn't...I'm not sure who is right.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts

If they find that he had an undiagnosed heart condition or something similar that caused his death then it is a terrible tragedy.

If they find that he was perfectly healthy and the ride caused his death then it's murder.

I'm heartbroken for the family, I can't even imagine.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
we went to epcot over thanksgiving, and our dd has just turned 5 and easily surpassed the height requirements. there is no way in hell we would have allowed her to go on that ride. there are warnings everywhere about how frightening it is, how it can make you sick, etc. i mean literally, every foot has a different big warning sign about the dangers and fright involved in the ride.

very sad.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama ganoush
there is no way in hell we would have allowed her to go on that ride. there are warnings everywhere about how frightening it is, how it can make you sick, etc. i mean literally, every foot has a different big warning sign about the dangers and fright involved in the ride.
I hear that. We were there in the spring. That ride scared the hell out of ME let alone The Kid (who apparently comes a couple of inches under the requirement). I am at a loss that a parent would let a four year old on that ride.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RowansDad
I hear that. We were there in the spring. That ride scared the hell out of ME let alone The Kid (who apparently comes a couple of inches under the requirement). I am at a loss that a parent would let a four year old on that ride.
yeah, i really enjoyed the ride, but it ws very scary. the gravity effects had tears streaming down my face and it made me nauseus at first.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
that is just so awful
Even though the parent's did make an error of judgement, that is a huge price to pay. That poor little boy, just out for a fun day with his family.
I have a nearly 4 year old boy and it breaks my heart such an avoidable, untimely death.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
That ride made me very ill and gave my husband a nasty migraine.
It's intense. It was not the gravity effect of the ride, but the air blasts and the forced perspective of the computer monitors in front.
We spent a couple of hours in the infirmary afterwards.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Oh, that's terrible. I thought at first it was one of those freak accidents where something on the ride had broken.

We went to a carnival last week and I got scared b/c my 3 y.o. got scared on a ride but, my golly, it was a rocking viking ship. I'm pretty liberal but I don't think there's any way in heck I'd let my 4 y.o. go on the rocket no matter how hard he begged.

So, I wonder if he was simply too young; ie. his body wasn't strong/mature enough yet? Wow, what a tragedy.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama ganoush
yeah, i really enjoyed the ride, but it ws very scary. the gravity effects had tears streaming down my face and it made me nauseus at first.
I should note that the ride scared me just looking at it (meaning I didn't go on). Splash Mountain satisfied my fading thrillseeker urge.

·
Registered
776 Posts
That ride made me nauseaus and scared the bejeeburs out of me for DS (who was 7 when we went). I was so concerned - I would never have taken a 4 year old, but i've made some pretty poor judgements on other things too, so that's is not to be seen as a criticism of the Mom. I feel so sorry for that Mom. She must feel so guilty . . . practically the entire way from the entrance to the ride itself there are warnings - and I felt like I was taking my son to his doom - not knowing what was going to happen. My instincts wanted to just turn and run, but I kept telling myself, it'll be OK - and for DS & DH it was - I was the sick one. Lawrdie lawrdie lawrdie . . .

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
This story has really upset me. I am also upset that Disney opened the ride up again the very next day. In my opinion they should not allow any children to get on this ride! I also feel that it should be closed for a few days (if not forever) out of respect for the little boy and his family! But the mighty dollar is more important!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I've heard that the ride has actually been tamed down several times since it was first opened. My family knew a lady that worked at what was once the Exxon pavillion now no longer Exxon, but the dino ride for all those that don't know what I'm talking about. She said people are always throwing-up on the dino/Exxon ride after doing both the race track and the space one.

I personally was ill for the entire day after riding and had already vowed before this to never ride it again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts