Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have heard stories that thumb sucking leads to over bites or something along those lines.

My dss is a 4 year old thumb sucker... it is a natural reflex and children often suck thier thumbs while still in the womb so i can understand.... but at 4 years old?!

My s/o and i have tried putting tape or bandaids on his thumb, which made him mad when he was younger ( 2ish years old ).. but now being 4 he knows how to take the tape off so its useless even trying.

I guess what my question is, does it really affect the teeth? ( he has a HUGE over bite already )

and,

Does anyone have any suggestions to get him to stop?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
well, I can give you my perspective as a former thumbsucker. I loved to suck my thumb, it was incredibly comforting, and I didn't stop until age 11, and sometimes I miss it alot. Everytime I see a kid doing it, it brings me back. The day I stopped was the day I got braces, which I of course needed because I sucked my thumb. My advice, he'll stop when he is ready, and he'll probably need braces from it, but I know very few ppl who didn't need braces for one reason or another.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I sucked mine until I was 5, at which point my best friend who happened to suck her thumb as well informed me she had stopped sucking her thumb. She was "grown up now." So I went home that night and told my mother I was going to stop too. I put my hands under my pillow that night and that was the end of thumb sucking for me. Go peer pressure.
I did need braces, but I had a few problems to begin with. Who knows. I still sleep with my hands under my pillow.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh we are hoping that when he goes to school that he will see that the other kids don't do it so that will make him stop.. he starts school in september so we will just have to see how that goes..

I luckily don't have a thumb sucking prob with my 2 1/2 year old... i would go nuts :S

·
Registered
228 Posts
I sucked my thumb until I was nine. Pretty much constantly. My stepdad gave me a hard time about it and my mom was always telling him to leave me alone. Oddly enough I stopped when my mom and him seperated. My mom thinks that because I wasn't being harrassed about it anymore I was able to let go of it on my own, in my own way.

I had two best friends after we moved who sucked their thumbs too. I stopped a couple months before one. The other friend kept going until twelve. I think we each needed it for whatever reason and we stopped when we were ready. Peer pressure only made me more self conscience and more willing to hide it. It didn't make me want to stop.

Also, I have very straight teeth. Never had braces.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am having a horrible time too trying to get my 2 year old dd to stop sucking hers. My MIL told me to put it in Hot Sauce and that would stop but I think that's too mean to do. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks...

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I'm in the "let them stop on their own" camp. I was a thumbsucker too, stopped on my own due to elementary school peer pressure. Oh, and I have perfectly straight teeth, never had braces.
My ds sucks his thumb, I have no intention whatsoever to make him stop. He'll stop when he's ready.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thumb-sucker here...checking in! Not currently, of course. I stopped when I was 12.
I also have a 4-year-old thumb sucker. Funnily enough, I keep asking her when she will stop sucking her thumb. Her answer is always "maybe tomorrow or next week"!! HA! I don't know why I keep bugging her about it, because I don't want to pressure her. I know from experience that it doesn't work and can only make her insecure. I've asked her teacher and she never sucks it at school, and usually at home, only if she's bored or tired. She DOES have an overbite, as I did and I also had a lot of dental work, short of braces, though. I LOVE her teeth and the way she talks around them....SO CUTE, but I don't want her to regret it. I won't put anything on there to help her stop, unless she asks me to or agrees to. My parents put that paint-stuff on mine when I was little. I proceeded to suck through it and throw it all up, and continue sucking!!
It seems cruel to put anything that would make one sick, or burn someone's mouth. The desire has to be stopped, rather than inflicting sickness or pain. I do have a friend who talked to her ds about stopping. He was "excited" about it, oddly enough. She told him she was giving him a special glove to wear to help him, and she cut out all the fingers of a little glove, except for the thumb. He wore it for weeks!! Doesn't suck his thumb anymore. WOW!! SO COMPLIANT!! My DD won't agree to that, so I'll wait for her to quit on her own. For me, at 12, I was only sucking unconsciously in my sleep. I went to a sleepover, and for days I agonized over the "what if someone sees me"...that was it. Somehow I stopped. One thing is sure....they will eventually stop! (Or end up on Maury Povich or something like that!!!)

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
I have horrible memories of when my parents tried to get me to stop. They used the paint and some other things. I just remember being really upset. I say let them stop on their own. I remember the paint being like torture. I'd chew it off and continue to suck but it was really upsetting.

·
Banned
5,766 Posts
My mom also wanted to let me stop on my own because she was convinced I would develop an oral fixation and smoke if she forced the issue. I stopped by myself at around 6-7 but I found it to be very hard to do. I actually put hot sauce on my finger (that didn't work) and eventually used Scotch tape (that did). I also needed braces but I think I would have needed them anyways because I have a small jaw and I needed to have 4 teeth yanked in order to fit the rest.

·
Registered
961 Posts
My sister and I both sucked our thumbs for a long time, she into her late teens. I needed braces and her teeth were perfect!!

I remember this being a big issue in my childhood every time I went to the dentist. I think at some point we all just started lying!! Obviously we had a reason to keep this childhood crutch and no amount of reasoning was going to make a difference. My dd1 sucks her thumb--usually just when she is going to sleep. I really hope that she will give it up on her own but I don't foresee pressuring her to do so. It's her body and her thumb and her comfort. And as far as I can tell--some who do need braces and some who don't need braces and some who do don't need braces and some who don't don't need braces!!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I sucked the two fingers of my right hand, ring and middle finger, until I was 11 years old. I sucked them in the womb I imagine since my mother said I was sucking on them immediatly after birth. I was nursed until age two and I imagine I have a very strong sucking instinct. When I was about to enter Kindergarten my mom told me she wouldn't let me turn 5 if I didn't stop sucking my fingers. That worked successfully until the 1st grade where I had a teacher that rode me so hard I started sucking them again. My parents tried all sorts of things. Primarily I stopped sucking them during the day because I would get in trouble if I was caught. I sucked them at night until age 11 when I got poison oak on my hand and my fear of getting it in my mouth overrode my desire to suck. I think at the end I did it mostly because I always had. I remember very fondly sneaking behind a chair and sucking on my fingers until my sister caught me and told my mom. The memory of sucking my fingers is comforting. If I do it now as an adult (mainly from curiosity) it has a pleasurable sensation still.

After I stopped sucking my fingers my teeth, which had been gapped and stunted grew back in. Every time I go to the dentist they complement my orthodontist at which point I explain that I have never had braces.

Marah Jade sucks her thumb and I can already see where it has affected her teeth. I am not to worried about it. My family has amazing teeth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.