Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really freaking out abt this. My ds has started snorting out his nose, all the time. It's like he is clearing snot out of his nose, blowing his nose. But he does it much more quietly, and his nose is dry. I thought maybe he had an allergy or a cold. But now he is doing all the time and it has been going on for at least 2 weeks. He is healthy. My husband brought it up last night that he thinks ds has a tic. He has also started gagging at the smells of food, and twice in the last week he has thrown up just by smelling something he doesn't like the smell of. All these symptoms started abt the same time, I think. Does anyone have any experience with stuff like this? Could it be some sort of sensory thing? Thanks, Michelle

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
My oldest has had tics for at least 3 years now, I recall first noticing them when she was 4 and even then not really thinking they were tics until she was almost 5. She currently has both motor and vocal tics. We only sought a referral to a neurologist several months ago, and we are only doing that to be sure that it's just tics and not a sign of anything more serious. We suspect Tourette's and we are not freaked out by that after all we've found out, we don't expect to find that the tics are a symptom of anything serious/life-threatening/scary. The tics are so far not a big deal at all for my dd. Tics are quite common in young children, and most children with tics have "transient tics" which go away after a period of time and don't come back. Fewer children have chronic tics, lasting a year or more. If you are worried you can check in with your child's physician, who will likely be able to reassure you. How does your son feel about the tics? Does he notice them? Do they bother him?<br><br>
As far as smelling bad things goes, my son (5) has gone through periods of gagging when he smells something bad or sees something gross. I do too sometimes. It's a personal quirk, a sensitivity. Is he normally sensitive to smells, smells thing you can't? Normally pretty sensitive in general? Again, you could check with your physician if it remains problematic for him or if you are concerned. No harm in checking.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I just came here today to ask about this wrt my 3.5yo. I've noticed it in the past, but it was only occasional. If he's getting excited playing, he'll begin pacing a little, (usually telling me to play a certain way, if I'm not doing it right) and he'll keep flipping his hair. Today it was rather drastic and he began snorting like you say. The snorting has only happened one other time. I haven't looked it up yet, but I've heard of tics being common. I assumed it was stress. Today was kind of hard, and yes I lost my temper and yelled at him. He's really challenging sometimes - high energy, not listening, but is also very sensitive. I assumed I stressed him out. I don't know.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
My son has allergies and does weird nose things. He also has a very senstive gag reflex. Sometimes the taste of new food makes him literally throw up. He chokes easy, too. That, I wonder if is related to allergies since he sometimes has a gunky throat. My nose is usually dry and ITCHY (allergies, too) so what he is doing kinda makes sense to me.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ladies :)<br>
Yeah I have been thinking it may have something to do with allergies. DS was completely off dairy for at least 2 years, but in the last 6 months we have introduced it back into his diet, with no problems. However, maybe he is still having problems with it. I've been trying to really reduce the stress in his life. Slowing down our days, trying to have more patience. Both my boys are super "spirited", intense etc., so I have days when I really feel very burnt out and have very low patience threshhold.

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
My DS has bad allergies and does something like that, and he also has a supersensitive gag reflex. Interesting how all the kids with allergies have the gagging thing. There has to be a link there.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I can see how it can be related since your ears, nose and throat are connected. I usually have itchy ears, nose and throat. I don't gag, but if there was gunk or mild swelling I can see how that could happen.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
My nephew did something like this when he was maybe 5? He would clear his throat constantly, almost to the point where I couldn't understand what he was saying.<br><br>
SIL kept saying she didn't know where he got it from and the doctor thought it might be from allergies. I noticed that SIL also seemed to clear her throat a bit more than one would expect. So I think for my nephew it might have been a combination of hearing his mom doing it and some kind of throat tickle. They live in another state and I only see him once or twice a year and by the next time I saw him he wasn't doing it anymore.<br><br>
And about the gagging, I can't believe all the people who have told me their kids will gag/throw up at certain food textures, smells, etc. So I can't believe it's that unusual of a thing. I'm sure it's pretty disconcerting but I bet it's not that unusual.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
My 5.5 year old has had tic's on and off for a couple of years. They haven't shown up for awhile, but I think stress has a lot to do with when they come out, that and weather, usually excessively dry or polluted weather (hot summers seem to be the worst). I took her to the opthamologist about it in the spring because she was constantly straining her eyes, and he said that it is remarkable how many parents bring their children in for "tic's" at this age. He said it just seemed to be something that they experiment with, that they play with and may tend to become focused on for awhile, but that is rarely means there is anything wrong physically and most often they just stop doing it one day. Which is exactly what happend with my dd. I try to be aware of triggers, and try not to mention it to her too much if it does happen and it always resolves itself.<br><br>
And the gagging thing is totally normal. I still gag, my sister gags to the point of throwing up, so maybe it is just a physical reaction some people have. My dd will actually throw something up if she doesn't want it and someone says, "just one more bite".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts