Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DD2 is 4.5.  She spends all day with me with the exception of a couple of hours at preschool 3x a week.  She has always had a hard time "sharing" me with her siblings when they get home from school, but her new competition tactic has me even more frustrated and angry.  Basically, when DD1 practices piano, I sit with her and help get her fingering right, give her feedback and encourage her.  She's 6 and a beginning piano student, so she needs a little support, plus I really enjoy sharing my own love for piano with her.  DD2 wants to sit with us, but recently has begun to bang on  the keyboard, turn the music pages while DD1 is trying to play, and generally disrupt her sister's practice time.  It's clear to me that she resents the 10-15 minutes of total attention I'm giving to her sister.  I've tried setting her up with other activities in another room and in the same room already.  Any other ideas on how to handle this? </p>

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
<p>I am right there with you... only with a 3 yo ds who is jealous of me giving attention to dd... and it's violin instead of piano. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Like you I try to set my other dc up with an activity in the other room, but that rarely works.  Sometimes a yummy snack will keep him occupied.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, I'll be watching this thread for ideas!</p>

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
<p>What do you do when she does these things?  I am not in that situation, so I don't have any specific advice.  I do have a 4.5yo, though.  If she were doing that she would be apologizing to the other child and we'd talk about how to respectfully listen.  If she chose not to be respectful she'd have to find something else to do in another area.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Tjej</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts