Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's not taking off and running like the wind like he did when he is three but he sees something he wants to do and just goes and does it when we are away from home and it freaks me out. "Stop","Freeze", etc doesn't stop him. It scares me. What if a car is coming out of a driveway or we are hiking and I see a snake, or we are somewhere unfamiliar and he gets lost?
Today we were coming home from the park. he was in the wagon. Little bro was ready for a nap so I wanted to go home asap. He wanted to climb rocks, I said maybe next time that we needed to go home. He proceeds to climb out of the wagon and go climb the rocks. I go get him as I am holding the caterpillar he found. I set the caterpillar in the wagon where little bro can get to it and tell him I have to carry him home. Little bro goes for caterpillar, he freaks out, I tell him he has to sit in the wagon until we get home or the caterpillar rides with Little bro. I felt bad for holding a gun to the caterpillars head
(so to speak) but that is how it was working out at this point. Anyway, I was just wondering if there are any suggestions.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Hey, I just wanted you to know you are not alone in this. I have several threads over all types of forums seeking answers to this...mostly I want to know at what Age does it stop?

I thought Age 4...

Anyway, DS runs away from me all the time. The only solution for me is the stroller. Every single time, I try to trust him and have long gently talks about the importance of him holding Mommy's hand and not snatch away from me...

And every single time, as soon as I set him down he takes off...and he has to go back into the stroller...

You are so not alone.

·
Registered
353 Posts
OH you so aren't alone. My DD does not stay with me when we're out. The only way I get her to stop is to stop wherever I am and tell her NOT to move. If she even tries to run, I walk back towards my house.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.