Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DS does really well at night for the most part.  He falls asleep on his own, in his own bed.  Then, if (usually when) he wakes up he comes in with me.  I do not have a problem with this at all.  What I do have a problem with is that when he wakes up he either screams and/or cries in an uncontrollable manner.  He makes himself super upset and ends up keeping us both up much longer than needed.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've tried everything I can think of to figure out why he's crying and to comfort him.  He doesn't want to be comforted.  Apparently he wants to hang out in my bed and scream his head off.  *sigh*</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The best luck I've had is along the lines of, "This is not the way we act when we come into someone else's bed.  If you want to sleep with me then you need to calm down.  If you can't do that, you need to go back to your bed."</p>
<p><br>
Repeat about 5 times and he stops.  If I try to comfort him or keep asking what is wrong, what can I do, etc it just gets worse and very drawn out.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've tried discussing it at different times during the day but have gotten nowhere.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any thoughts?  This has been going on for about 3 months.  Prior to that he'd wake up crying but calm down immediately when I picked him up and brought him in with me.  Now nothing seems to work and I have no idea what the deal is.</p>

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Nope, not night terrors.  He has had those in the past and this is not the same.  He's awake and responds.  He just seems royally p!$$sed off until he cries himself back to sleep.</p>

·
Registered
409 Posts
<p>My DSS pretty much does the same thing only he is two. Usually once or twice a week he does this. It started when he went to bio mother for visitation and would come back and have night terrors for close to a week. This wanes and he now just wakes up once or twice a week angry and wanting to be with us. But when we comfort him, he screams, flails, etc. I ask him what is wrong and he just says "no, nuh-uh" over and over. I try taking him into another room and talking but the same thing happens. DH doesn't have a lot of patience for this. DSS never co-slept with bio mother or us. I co-slept with my parents and brother until five. So I tend to think DH is harsh when he takes DSS back into his room with a new diaper and sippy cup of water and says, "Mommie and Daddy are going nigh, nigh and you are too. You have everything you need. I'll see you in the morning." Then DH closes the door and DSS cries for five to ten minutes and is then out like a light. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Maybe you could try talking to him about this during the day. Ask him if he remembers the night before and why he was upset and see what he says then. At four, he might want to tell you, just not in the middle of the night.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts