Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to start a new thread but I’m sort of straddling a couple of threads with my situation here and would like to hear suggestions and stories that may be helpful or hear from anyone else who might be in a similar situation.<br><br>
I’m 42, we have a 17-month old son who is still nursing but has been night-weaned for a couple of weeks now. He only nurses a couple of times a day on demand but still, no period. I’d rather not wean him completely if I don’t have to although I do know that he’s mostly nursing for comfort and because he can at this point; he’s rarely really interested in more than a token amount unless he’s trying to go to sleep.<br><br>
Given my age, I know I don’t have much time left and realistically may not have enough time to have a second child at all. We’re in the “if it happens, great, if it doesn’t, well, it’s not meant to be” camp but I’m not sure we’re giving it a fair shake if I continue to nurse.<br><br>
We didn’t have trouble conceiving the first baby and I don’t know if things have changed significantly since then but I wonder if perhaps my body is telling me something. My first pregnancy was uneventful and I’m in good health but frankly, I’m pretty old for this and wonder if the stress of nursing is taking enough of a toll on my body that it is preventing me from getting my period back or if it just takes cutting way back on breastfeeding to signal my body to get back into fertility mode. So of course I’m wondering if my lack of a period is age dependent? Is it related to my overall health? To the frequency of Sam is nursing?<br><br>
Anne

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I was in a similar situation not long ago. I was 42, still nursing, DD was nearly 2, and still no AF. And it took IVF to get me pregnant the first time, so it was really beginning to look doubtful that I'd ever get pregnant again. I really wanted to start ovulating again so there would at least be some possibility of getting pregnant, but I was hesitant to push DD into weaning, when pregnancy would be such a long shot even if I did wean her.<br><br>
I did eventually nightwean her at about 22-23 months, and I got my first AF not too long after that. She was still nursing about 4 times a day at that point (and she still is.) I only had two periods, and then I got pregnant! No infertility drugs or anything! I got my positive pregnancy test on the morning of my 43rd birthday.<br><br>
Someone who was good with statistics recently started a thread asking what age women were when they got pregnant, and when they got AF back, and she found a correlation between age and length of time before AF - older women (at least in this small sample) took longer to start cycling again. So I bet your age is contributing to your lack of AF. But I bet there are a lot of other factors involved, too. I wonder if weight is important. I'm not overweight, but I gained about 10 pounds not long before getting AF back. I wasn't happy about it, but I wonder if the extra weight helped convince my body it could handle ovulating again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm also in Vermont. I live in Burlington! Where are you?<br><br>
Congratuations on your pregnancy and I'm glad it was easier than the first! It's nice to hear good stories about those of us considered of "advanced maternal age."<br><br>
Thanks for your comments about the age/return of AF. I'll go look for the thread. I have to admit I'm not surprised to see that correlation though.<br><br>
Also, your comments about weight were interesting. I'm about 15 lbs below my prepregnancy weight because I was on an elimination diet for 10 months due to my DS's food allergy issues. He's past that, I'm no longer on the diet, and I'm at a healthy weight but I do wonder if there is any lingering impact of the weight loss since it happened pretty fast.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>avandon</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I'm also in Vermont. I live in Burlington! Where are you?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I'm in Johnson (between Burlington and Montpelier.)<br><br>
Here's the other thread I mentioned:<br><br><a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=279637" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=279637</a>

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! According to that I should expect to have gotten it at 16 months although with the small sample set, I take that with a grain of salt. I really do wonder if it's possible to go directly from bf to menopause! LOL<br><br>
One of my yoga teachers moved to Johnson and took over the studio (Johnson Yoga I believe) there. Her name is Charlotte and she's a terrific teacher if you're interested in yoga.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts