Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm not really feeling safe putting information on my kid or my feelings in this forum or anywhere else on mothering after witnessing the heated debates on giftedness here. it's not what I'm here for. will be requesting account deletion immediately and moving on to somewhere I feel accepted.
good luck to all and take care!

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
My 5 1/2 year old will be starting in september, and I'm worried for all the same reasons you are. He will be going to an alternative, constructivist, public charter school, but I'm still worried. He's very intense, has a lot of mood swings, doesn't really like to be "taught," so much as he likes to learn, etc. He's reading at around a 4th or 5th grade level, higher in subjects that interest him. I'm REALLY concerned about boredom leading to trouble making, and as soon as I find out which class he's in, I'm going to speak to his teacher about how we can work to prevent that. I wanted to send him last year, but the school district wouldn't budge on cut off dates - He was "only" reading at around a 2nd grade level then - I think it might have been a little easier for him then.

Maybe we can commiserate with each other as we go through this with our kids.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Just want to say as the mom of a little guy who was in K last year, that I feared the same things and they never came to light. There's just so much going on with regard to starting Kindergarten, that even if they are ahead of the curve, there is so much to learn about being in the new school atmosphere, they are unlikely to get bored.

My little guy was like yours--didn't like to be taught, ahead in reading, math, etc... had an exceptional time, not because of the academics but because of everything else he was learning.

And Jeri, I think ultimately you'll be happy you didn't send Liam to school early. There was a little boy in Jonathan's class last year who was a first graders (we have all split classes) who was really young for his year and very bright and couldn't control his impulses. I mean, really couldn't manage and another year at home would have most likely given him the focus he needed to succeed. Yes, he was bored because he was bright but the teacher couldn't even get his attention to give him more complicated projects many times.

Anyway, I just want to say that I had all your fears going into K last year and none of them came to fruition.

Good luck!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Jeri, Jay went to school at 5 reading very well too, he did just fine in kindy from an academic POV. Ro is reading about a 2nd grade level and is going next month and I don't anticipate problems of that variety either.

I agree with JKP, there is much to learn that isn't academic in their first years. Jay (going into 5th grade) didn't advance as fast in academics this last year for instance, but socially and emotionally he has made great leaps and bounds.

Bethan

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
It's good to have the input of mothers who have BTDT.

I was told by my district that we couldn't send him early, but that if I homeschooled Kindergarten (whatever that means, really
), that I could test him into 1st grade, but I didn't think that was a good idea. I agree that a lot of what happens in kindergarten is an introduction to the school environment. I think he'd have a lot of problems going into 1st grade this year, having not experienced kindergarten, even though he could certainly handle the "work" of a 1st or 2nd grade class room.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm with you on this one. Our eldest is starting K in 3 weeks. I believe I am mostly feeling the pangs of my own separation anxiety; the reality that if she continues to choose to not be homeschooled this will be the next 13 years of her life. I'm am dealing with my own issues about not homeschooling her which is mostly that other people will be helping rear her for 7 hours a day, 7 days a week. I admit to having some pretty intense control issues.

I am happy with our school decision so far. I have no doubts that something will come up at some point that I disagree with but we love the philosophy, the environment, the teachers, etc. It's a Reggio Emilia school and strangely they've taken the RE approach through the entire elementary years. Project based, child lead etc. It's the same approach to what we have done with her at home since birth, primarily following the children's lead.

They do not have a gifted program at all until around the 4th grade. The evaluate each child during the first of the year to see where they are in different areas. At this age it's things like writing, math concepts, reading etc.. The children are then 'taught' at each of their levels and re-evaluated at the beginning of each year. I like the idea, and am interested to see how they incorporate that into the RE approach. IE: They don't do math worksheets at all and all concepts are taught via hands on experience. Seems difficult to do if you have so many children at different levels of experience. (Versus simply giving kids more difficult work sheets.)

Our concern is that since it is such an open educational environment (which again is our preference) that our DD will have some struggles balancing out socialization and learning. DD seems to do some recon on kids she first meets. If they don't want to write letters with her, draw space charts, play chess and would rather pretend play, it seems she figures that out pretty quick and never asks again.

The teachers set up a conference for two weeks before school starts to discuss how DD learns, her interests and any concerns we have. I would rather they figure out on their own how smart DD is and I am sure every parent walks in there saying their child is brilliant. But I am curious to hear how they handle the balance between play and learning. I will be asking if they have a general feel for how many kids are reading and writing for example as I think that would ease my mind. Does anyone have thoughts on things to ask the teachers before school starts based on your K experiences?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverWillow
I'm not really feeling safe putting information on my kid or my feelings in this forum or anywhere else on mothering after witnessing the heated debates on giftedness here. it's not what I'm here for. will be requesting account deletion immediately and moving on to somewhere I feel accepted.
good luck to all and take care!
This is really unfortunate. Apparently all of this hostility has been brewing under the skin for some time b/c it does seem to have been unreigned since it erupted a bit back.

I realize that this forum (MDC) does not have a stated opinion on the reality of giftedness, but there are other issues upon which MDC does not have a stated stance where common courtesy still rules. If someone started a thread about how ADD/ADHD doesn't really exist (and there is controversy in some circles regarding this), would it be okay to have numerous people continually state that those mamas whose children had been helped with treatment for ADD were damaging their children, making up things that didn't exist, had Munchausen's syndrome by proxy (wherein you pretend that someone else has an illness they don't and get attention for yourself as a result) and were misguided b/c their children didn't really have any different needs from any other child?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts