Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Pardon me while I scream. We're having the age old problem of wanting to not eat so we can stim again.
Yes, he'll screech and scream and be all pissy 'cause he's hungry, and mommy fixed his favorite food in the whole wide world for dinner (pasta), and he'll practically RUN to the table....

But then daddy fires up the lawn mower, and 2 bites into it it's "all done?" Said over and over with furtive glances at the window, longing to stand there and stare at the big loud thing with wheels, a giant stim machine, if you will.

I swear. The whole stimming/perseveration thing really really REALLY grates my nerves. You were just SCREAMING with hunger, but fire up a *@#!! lawn mower, and it's all over? WTF? This kid would probably stim until he starved to death if we let him. It makes me so so so angry and frustrated and I just want to scream.

/rant

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!! HE JUST WALKED UP TO ME WITH HIS EMPTY SNACK CUP, HANDING IT TO ME TO SAY, "FILL 'ER UP SO I CAN EAT WHILE I STIM, MOM!"

Um, how about NO!!! Ugh. God forbid we eat at the table. God forbid we take a few minutes away from watching the fricking lawnmower. Nope.

Taking deep breaths.........

:

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exhaling....

He finally decided it sucked to be hungry, so he came up to me and kept grunting and pointing at/touching my mouth. So I asked him if he was ready to eat now, and he did. *whew*

Bleah. I have PMS this week. I don't cope so well when the AF monster is looming.
: I suck.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Sweety you totally don't suck. We all have those bang your head against a wall days... sometimes I just sit in a bubble bath and cry for like 5minutes.. but then I get up dry off and go back to being Mommy. You don't suck at all.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I'm sooo sorry! I cannot imagine how frustrating that must be to get your hopes up about him eating and then to have it all go out the window (literally) because of the lawn mower.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ugh. I can relate. My son's favorite stim is doors. Opening them, closing them, opening them, closing them. He can do it for hours on end. And it's almost impossible to redirect him. I put safety covers on all the door knobs, and he started opeing/closing the cabinet doors. I put child locks on those, and he moved to drawers....
:

It's not really so bad at home, but when we go to relatives houses, they look at me like "make him stop that" and I"m just at a loss. On the up side, it gives me the motivation to not visit the relatives I never really cared for anyway.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
BTDT.
In fact, we just had another hunger/stim incident this morning.
I'm letting DS play with the telephone now while I decompress on the computer.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoVeryCherry
Ugh. I can relate. My son's favorite stim is doors. Opening them, closing them, opening them, closing them. He can do it for hours on end. And it's almost impossible to redirect him. I put safety covers on all the door knobs, and he started opeing/closing the cabinet doors. I put child locks on those, and he moved to drawers....
:

It's not really so bad at home, but when we go to relatives houses, they look at me like "make him stop that" and I"m just at a loss. On the up side, it gives me the motivation to not visit the relatives I never really cared for anyway.

Omg that would drive me nuts. LOL. Ds loves to open and close things too, but he doesn't stim/perseverate on that yet. Wheels, all things motorized with wheels are our stim of choice here.

Hmm...playing with the telephone, eh? That's a good idea...we have some old phones around here that I could take the cords off of....

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

Funny you mention it around meals. That is Ian bean ALL THE WAY!!!!!!! He's starving hungry, so he tells me, so I scramble to get something set up for him, then master flighty pants will get distracted by anything and everything and just up and run from the table to go ohhh, I dunno, look out the window, yank on a cabinet, open the pantry door, play w/a toy, check the fridge for food (b/c he's hungry!!!!, D'OH!), whatever. It is maddening sometimes.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch
Omg that would drive me nuts. LOL. Ds loves to open and close things too, but he doesn't stim/perseverate on that yet. Wheels, all things motorized with wheels are our stim of choice here.

Hmm...playing with the telephone, eh? That's a good idea...we have some old phones around here that I could take the cords off of....
((( Finch ))) Your story brings back memories (not fond ones) of the garbage truck and how the world STOPPED when the garbage truck was anywhere that David could hear it. And did I mention he can hear things waaaay before any typical person? UGH! I HATED garbage days for about 6 months! You have my sympathy, girl!

As for the phone thing, DON'T DO IT!!!!! You may start out with old phones, but pretty soon it turns into your son wanting ALL phones and then you are trying to hide the real phones from him....and the tantrums ensue.....and it just isn't worth it! Ahem...that's been MY experience, anyhow!
:

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by phishmama
master flighty pants
*snort*
:

I just pulled a piece of dog kibble out of his mouth.
Sigh.

Duly noted about the phone...didn't think of that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My son never eats an entire meal at the table. Never...

but I don't know if he is stimming or just being a normal kid. He either wants to play video games (which he can do for hours on end) or watch videos on the computer (which he can also do for hours on end).

Oh and he loves my cell phone. He plays ringtones over and over whenever I let him. I agree about watching it with the phones. He's even asking for the Cingular GO Phone he sees on TV. Um, you're 5... NO!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I learned the hard way about letting ds play with an old phone. Now he sneaks to get ahold of the real phone. Not a good thing.

As for cell phones....NO WAY. Not with the cancer stories going around. Don't care if studies have found proof or not yet...they probably will in the future.

Time for tea.
Fill it to the rim with stim.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Finch your post made me laugh. Not because what you are dealing with is funny but because I feel exactly the same way sometimes. My little darling loves loves loves doors. It drives me crazzzzzzzzzzy some days
: Imagine having no choice but to go to Walmart for something quick yet you have to spend at least an hour in the frozen food section so he can walk up and down every aisle and open then close each door. Flapping like crazy with excitement as each one closes.

Sure I could just scoop him up and move to the check out but which is better the stares from the people in frozen foods or the stares of all the people checking out. Then of course there has to be the mom standing their saying "oh my kid loved to do that too." Yeah moms of NT kids can so relate. NOT!
Just want you to know you are so not alone....lol

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TristansMommy
Then of course there has to be the mom standing their saying "oh my kid loved to do that too." Yeah moms of NT kids can so relate. NOT!

Just wanted to kindly point out that maybe their kid is SN and they really can relate. I know what you're getting at, and I'm sure not every kid whose mom has said something to you is SN, but some might be. If you'd have seen my ds through the first 1/3 of the grocery store tonight you'd have thought he was perfectly fine, except his lack of speech. He was walking next to me, holding my hand nicely (what a change!), on his best behavior. If you'd have seen us by the end you'd have thought differently. He would take 2 steps down an aisle, spin around for a minute, take two steps, spin around, repeat for about 2/3 of the grocery store. He was also back on his harness because he decided it would be fun to run as fast and as far as he could, laughing all the way. Add in the horrible screeching (followed by laughter because he thinks it's the most hilarious thing) and the hand waving/flapping and we were quite a sight

All that to say- looks can be deceiving

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.