Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby girl's head leans over the right side...a fair bit. We've tried packing her the opposite way in the sling, changing way we lie in bed etc and its not improving. Our Dr. is away for 8 weeks so we have to see the locum again. Last time he told me I spend too much time holding her while nursing that and letting her sleep in our bed has likely contributed to her problem. Quote, "That type of parenting encourages coddled babies who dont get the physical stimulation that they need." Boy I sure missed the bullet with my first two kids nursing as toddlers in our bed...Im amazed their heads are on straight at all
He is however the only physician we have access to right now.

Any of you Mama's experienced this?
What helped...physio/chiro?
What didnt?!

Thx for the help

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hi,

My youngest had torticollis and her head was always turned to the right and leaning, oddly enough, to the left. She was born early and also had other issues . What helped the most was a deep neck massage given to her by a pt. This woman just knew which muscles to hit and she HIT 'em!!! The day after the massage my dd's head was wobbling all over the place because the tightness that was causing the torticollis had been released. My dd had to learn to steady her head w/out tightening her neck muscles. After the massage the pt told us that my dd needed tummy time to strengthen her neck and trunk muscles. Some people say tummy time isn't necessary but it definitely helps children w/temporary torticollis....stops the torticollis from coming back!

Not sure about chiropractors but massage definitely works!!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I agree that it sounds like torticollis. PT is very likely in order. Ds1 was diagnosed with it at 4 weeks, but we luckily caught it before the head tilt started. We were able to exercise with him at home to help.

·
Registered
190 Posts
PT and cranio sacral are both good options....

It sounds like a birth position, holding onto that can manifest/become toticollis but actual origins of that are often birth trauma stored in the body. There are other ways to release that too, with energy psychology and infant therapy...

good luck!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm a chiropractor and mama of a dd born w/ congenital torticollis.

PT was very necessary for stretching and other head righting exercises. And of course chiropractic adjustments helped and continue to help with any relapses. Please start as soon as possible. Look for a pediatric PT with experience w/congenital tort and a chiro with pediatric experience.

There is also a yahoo group that is really helpful... parents of tort babies. I can't remember the website off hand... search for torticollis on yahoo groups.

If you start working on the tight muscles and spinal misalignments now you will very likely get great results.

PM me w/ any specific questions if you want. I take care of a lot of tort kids in my practice.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checking in to say we saw the locum today. It was a very challenging appointment. I was nursing dd when he came into the exam room today, and he commented on the position I was holding her in (crosss-cradle) and that I was "likely making this harder for her" and that I should endeavor "to think symetrically" when I am holding her. I smiled and said she would be getting time the other direction too
It was a bad start to the apppt.

He sent us out to the nurses station to get her height and weight done. Our family doc was there too with his son who was getting stiches. As the locum was taking dd's history again, he alluded once again how her sleeping in our bed was "extenuating the condition"
: My regular dr. looked up quite shocked (his wife nursed all their kids past infancy) and raised his eye brows at me in question. I told him that about dd's neck, and that the locum and I were struggling to work through our different perspectives about ap parenting regardind it. And boy to I love our dr
He looked up at me and said tongue-in-cheek, "Cause you know mother nature was seriously flawed in her logic when designing breasts for lactation...surely she should have realized that all babies would fair better on artificial milk, away from the safety of their mothers arms." I could have hugged the man right then

He came over and examined DD for a minute. He said that her head does go through the range of motion, she is able to tilt it back, move it from side to side. Even though it is tilted, chin pointed other direction he said that he doesnt feel we need to do anything at this point. And to come back in when hes back from holidays, that there are excercised etc we can do at that point to help out with things.

Im going to dig around and see what I find for ideas to try at home while we wait to see the doc again. It nearly impossible to get into PT here we are so short of therapists, so I will probably put her on the waitlist just incase we need it. Any other ideas or suggestions for us? Id love to hear 'em
:

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
DD2 has torticollis, we just realized it a few weeks ago. Right now we are doing CST, if it doesn't improve quickly then we will be starting PT.

·
Registered
369 Posts
We had a very persistent bout of toticollis here - lasted until ds was close to 3! We did PT and then had to have further interventions (which I won't freak you out about, since it sounds like your child wasn't dxed with tort).

SOme exercises you could do would be like lying her on her back and then gently pushing her face until she has her ear to the ground on each side and then doing the same by tilting her head until her ear touches her shoulder on each side - obviously you don't want to hurt her, so you have to go gently and watch her cues for pain - but, one thing I realized was that my son was going to cry because it was stretching a very tight muscle. I think part of his torticollis resistance was me not being "tough" - for lack of a better word - enough during the stretches - one peep from him and I was sure I was going to kill him - kwim?

Anyway, those two easy stretches might help resolve any tightness she has in her neck and keep it from developing into torticollis if you can't find a PT or someone esle to help you out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by strathconamama View Post
Our family doc was there too with his son who was getting stiches. As the locum was taking dd's history again, he alluded once again how her sleeping in our bed was "extenuating the condition"
:
Actually I think that nursing in bed can be one of the most helpful ways to stretch baby's neck. My dd had limited left rotation and when she nursed on that side I made sure that she laid mostly on her back and had to turn left to nurse. It worked great! (still does at 2 yrs old!!)

·
Registered
446 Posts
my son's head did that...almost like his neck muscles weren't developed on that side (I even thought his head might be crooked because I never looked at it straight on). The doc checked to make sure he didn't have that t thing, and then said not to worry about it. It resolved itself by about 5 months, and now he's fine.
I actually think that held and nursed babies have much stronger neck, back, and stomach muscles from turning to nurse, being upright and helping balance themselves as opposed to being in a reclining position or on their backs much of the time. No research to back that up, but it sure seems to be true!

·
Registered
446 Posts
oh, you wanted to know what we did about it: not a whole lot. DS had full range of motion, so we just tried to make sure that if he was sleeping on his stomach his head was facing the other way and that when he was awake he had enough to look at that he was using his neck muscles. We didn't have to do any stretches or anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.