Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi mamas,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am wondering if this seems "normal" or if any of you have had this experience with you lo's. Ds is 4 and in the last couple of weeks has really been freaking out without me. He was going to preschool 2 days a week for only 2 hours (with his best buddy) for a few months, but then he melted down one day saying he didn't want me to leave. He was very upset so I brought him back home. He cries if he thinks I am going out without him and refuses to stay with his grandma who he is very close with. Today I had to take our dog to the vet and he completely lost it because he had to stay with dad. He keeps saying he doesn't want to be without me. I am and have always been a SAHM and I keep giving him lots of love and reassurance that I will always be here. I have never heard of a 4yr old going through this. Any thoughts?? BTDT????</p>

·
Registered
559 Posts
<p>My son is 4.5 and going through the exact same thing.  He hangs onto my leg if I'm going out for a bit and he has to stay home with dad.  He was getting very upset about going to skating lessons b/c he had to leave me, even though I stayed and watched him from the side of the rink.  He wants momma for everything, for bedtime routine, for making his breakfast, for brushing his teeth, you name it.</p>
<p>I have recently gone back to work 3 days/wk but this started months before that.  And he's surprisingly good about being dropped off at his daycare providers (he was there a few days a week before my 2nd mat leave).</p>
<p>The last yr has been challenging at our house with the arrival of a baby who has tummy trouble and has cried more often then not for a yr now and who doesn't sleep.  So I'm not sure if that has taken it's toll on my 4.5 yr old?</p>
<p>His separation anxiety also coincides with difficulty and stress around decision making to the point where he will have a complete meltdown over situations where there isn't even a decision to make (but he will phrase it and think that he does have to make a decision)  Not sure if it is all related.</p>
<p>I'm interested in the input of others.</p>

·
Registered
810 Posts
<p>sounds like my 4 y.o.  she has so much anxiety about me, but especially about her father leaving.  HE HAS TO GO TO WORK!! but she chases him out the door crying for him to stay home.  then i say, well, i could go to work and Papa can stay home, to which she breaks down (i don't talk about that anymore!!) </p>
<p>i don't know if its normal, but i really hope it clears up whenshe turns 5 next month.  it has been an issue since she turned 3.5. </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts