Mothering Forum banner

5 IUIs & no baby...when should we be concerned?

740 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  FtMPapa
Dw is TTC right now--we use AI and must use IUIs because that's the only doc we have access too. She is 32, healthy and has excellent cycles, very regular, with lovely large follicles on cd13 and eggs that release like clockwork between cd13 & 14. We have been trying for 5 months, and in that time we have had one very early m/c (got a BFP around 12 dpo, then AF came around 15-16 dpo).
So my question is, when do we need to worry/consider upping the ante. We are NOT really interested in considering IVF at this point, but maybe there are some other options we haven't thought of? I got pregant really easily with IUIs (though I had a hard time making the baby stick) so we're in new territory here. I know it can commonly take a year to get pg, but at $400/month it's a bit more stressful, yk?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Uhg! TTC is so frustrating especially when you throw things like IUI's and IVF's into the mix.

From what you described, I wouldn't worry yet. Many Doctor's and RE's concur that your chances of getting pg w/ IUI per month are about the same as the old fashioned way for a couple with normal fertility. About 25% chance I think.

The financial part can be taxing though, I agree!

Good Luck! I hope the next cycle is the sticky BFP cycle
See less See more
I have had 6 failed IUI's myself and I'm also not considering IVF at this point. I've done a lot of research and spoken to my doctor as well as women who have conceived with IUI's and the accepted theory seems to be after 3 unsuccessful cycles of IUI you move on to the next possible step which may just mean medications. I did three natural cycles with no meds, then 3 with Clomid and a trigger shot and now I'm moving on to IUI with injectables.

Supposedly, once you've done three cycles of anything your chances actually go down a little bit which is why they like to introduce something new. The meds increase your chances by increasing the number of eggs released, which may possibly also increase the chance of multiples.

I'm assuming she's had all the possible tests as well? Ultrasounds, HSG, bloodwork, etc. to make sure there is nothing else going on?

Heather
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by proudmamanow View Post
Dw is TTC right now--we use AI and must use IUIs because that's the only doc we have access too. She is 32, healthy and has excellent cycles, very regular, with lovely large follicles on cd13 and eggs that release like clockwork between cd13 & 14. We have been trying for 5 months, and in that time we have had one very early m/c (got a BFP around 12 dpo, then AF came around 15-16 dpo).
So my question is, when do we need to worry/consider upping the ante. We are NOT really interested in considering IVF at this point, but maybe there are some other options we haven't thought of? I got pregant really easily with IUIs (though I had a hard time making the baby stick) so we're in new territory here. I know it can commonly take a year to get pg, but at $400/month it's a bit more stressful, yk?
I wouldn't consider IVF just yet...there's a lot between now and then.

Have you used the same donor each time? Might be time to switch donors, if you're using anonymous and can easily switch.

Since you're doing IUIs, are you using pre-washed sperm from the bank, or is your clinic washing it? If you're using pre-washed, maybe think about using two vials per insemination. If you're getting standard and then having it washed, you get more and better quality sperm. You might also want to think about two IUIs per cycle.

How's her luteal phase? Progesterone may help if she's not making enough on her own to support a pregnancy.

Has she had an HSG? It could be that one tube is blocked, or partially obstructed or something - definitely worth checking out.

Also - think about acupuncture and other "alternative" therapies.

: Wow, that's a big list, and that's without even getting close to injectables, Clomid, or IVF! Can someone please remind me of this in a week or so if I'm not pregnant now?

Good luck!

I hear you about the $$$. Mine is costing around $1200 per cycle, between donor sperm, washing and insem, and clinic nuisance fees, plus meds ran me another $200 this month. Plus another small fortune in pregnancy tests.
See less See more
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.