Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been co-sleeping with my 5-mo-old dd since her birth. Once I learned to nurse lying down, I started to sleep better, and for a while, she was only waking 1-3 times at night. We put her in the crib first, and then bring her to our bed when we go to sleep; she wakes up occasionally in the crib, but I just rock her back to sleep. For the past few weeks, though, she's been waking up 4-7 times a night in our bed!

Patting her back won't cut it. She escalates her crying until I nurse her, and sometimes she nurses for a while (like she's eating and not just comfort nursing). I've tried cutting off her nursing after a little bit, but she gets mad. I try to get her to nurse longer/ more frequently during the day and evening, but often she keeps latching herself off after just five minutes or so!

Please give me advice! I keep thinking about transitioning her to her crib to see if she would sleep through the night. If nursing didn't wake me up so much, it might not be as big of a deal. It used to wake me up more because I would lean over her to latch her on and then roll to the side (I had a lot of bf latch problems until she was about 2-mo old). I do sleep without a top for easy nursing access. Over the past few days, I've started latching her while continuing to lie on my side, and her latch has been okay. That helps. But I still have to switch sides, which means waking up, climbing over her, and then latching her on. I also like to sleep on my back, which means I have to wake up slightly to roll on my side and latch her on, even when we're already on the right side to nurse.

What else can I try? Should I force myself to sleep on my side? Should I nurse her on just one side all night long without switching? How can I get her to nurse more during the day so she won't be as hungry at night? All the night nursing has been causing occasional diaper leaks as well (which means more waking up! I've taken to changing her diaper when we bring her to our bed. I've been getting so frustrated with this. I really appreciate any advice/tips you can give!

Thanks in advance,
Katherine

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
At 5 months she still NEEDS to nurse at night. What I do to switch sides at night is to keep dd on a little blanket and just slide it over and lay back down. Works great. I do sleep on my side most times. Keep her in your bed and keep nursing. They're only little for a short while.

-Angela

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, and I'm glad to know that it's normal for her to nurse at night at her age. When is she likely to nurse less at night? And when is she likely to sleep through the night? I know that it's different for each baby, but I just wanted to get a rough idea.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a 6 and a half month ds who is also a frequent night waker. As it turns out, he escalates his waking when he is teething. He just cut his 3rd tooth. Maybe your kiddo could be teething? Just a thought.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
My dd is 10 months and has slept through the night off and on since she was born. A lot of times though she still nurses several times at night. (most mornings I can't tell you if she's nursed or not without checking.... ) As to when babies sleep through the night- it varies greatly. Hang in there and work on sleeping while she nurses
sleep is my friend....

-Angela

1 - 5 of 5 Posts