Some kids are difficult eaters, and encouraging your child to eat more veggies can be hard. Here are some helpful tips to get more veggies in your child's diet.

My first child was the easiest kid when it came to getting her to try new foods. She had a small streak of pickiness, but nowadays, she is the first to put a healthy serving of salad on her plate or snack on a cup of guacamole with lunch.

So, when my second child came along, my world was rocked when I realized he was so picky. Veggies, aside from corn, barely touched his mouth. I had to discover new ways to encourage him to eat more veggies or at least give them a try.

Now, we are using these tips with our third and fourth children. Remember, don't panic if your child is a picky eater. You both can overcome this!

Related: 5 Hacks to Get Your Kids Eating Veggies

How to Get Your Kids to Eat More Veggies

1. Garden with Your Kids

We grow as many of our veggies as possible in our garden. You might not have a lot of space, and that's ok. Kids are more likely to try food that they spent time to grow with you, especially if it's in their own child's garden. My 2-year-old eats hundreds of peas I grow in my garden each year. Plus, fresh-picked veggies taste so much better!

2. Offer Condiments

Everything is better with condiments - seriously. Most kids, except my now 6-year-old, love condiments like ranch and ketchup. Serve the veggies with hummus or a yogurt-based dressing. Make sure that the condiment uses real ingredients and avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup.

3. Let Them Pick Out Veggies

Kids love to have power and control; it makes them feel like a grown-up. When you take your child to the grocery store or farmer's market. allow your kids to pick out what they want to try. When kids help pick what they are going to eat, they are less likely to fight.

Related: 6 Superfoods to Promote Healthy Eyes in Your Kids

4. Be a Role Model

Parents know that kids are little sponges, and they soak up everything. If you want your child to eat more veggies, you have to eat veggies as well. Snack on carrots and celery, and make sure to offer your children some. Set up some salsa, guacamole, and chips for a quick snack on the kitchen table. Put a heaping serving of veggies on your plate, especially if you want your child to do the same!

5. Use Veggies as an Appetizer

Don't kids always seem to be starving in the minutes leading up to dinner? They beg to eat, so let them eat some veggies. While you're cooking dinner, place some raw veggies (and a dip) on the table. You can offer some roasted veggies as well if you can remember to roast them ahead of your dinner. Set out ranch, hummus, or another healthy dip to go along with the veggies. If your kids are truly famished, they'll munch on the vegetables.
Most of all, don't stress over how many vegetables they eat. Make sure to always offer them, and many kids will eventually try (and like) them as they get older. Just like anything else, kids tend to put up a fight when we make a huge deal about something!

Photo credit: Oksana Kuzmina/Shutterstock