Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son started Montessori in the fall at age 3.5...it was a really hard first week-both of us in tears every day!!! But...then he started to really like school and up until two weeks ago, tells me what he does, seems excited to go...is a watcher, but likes observing and absorbing the work and lessons he sees...plus I teach music there 1 day a week, so see him regularly there.<br><br>
But two weeks ago, in the mornings he started adimantly saying he didn't want to go to school anymore.. "i don't like school" "i don't like the work"...etc etc.<br><br>
Can this common towards the end of the year? Needing a break? Sunshine etc. etc.? I have tried and tried and DH too, to ask him why he doesn't like school..did something happen that made him feel sad or mad and over and over he just says he just doens't like it anymore...<br><br>
Hmmm...we have big summer break coming up so maybe then should let the topic rest a while before talking about the fall????

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is this typical for some kids towards the end of the year?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
He may be getting bored with the activities that he is doing. i.e., the directress has not presented him with anything new lately.<br><br>
Or there may be a child who is bothering him at school.<br><br>
I would definitely discuss it with the directress.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had this issue with both of my girls. I've found it happens when they are ready for some new jobs but haven't been shown any for a while.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, today, I think I finally stumbled upon the why to my question and since he is my oldest, I don't know what to do with this.<br><br>
He was showing me some artwork that he did and in the corners they write their name in pencil so that after it dries, everyone knows which one is theirs. At the beginning of the year when he was 3.5, he couldn't do this, so the teacher did for him, but now he can write the three letters of his name, SAM<br><br>
Question: he often writes it like this MAS with some letters backwards even...is this typical for a 4 year old??????)<br><br>
So, he got really quiet and said "someone said my A looked like an H and that I can't write my letters right..." and I finally got him to tell me more and apparently a 5 year old walked by his easel and said that to him...and I asked him if that made him feel sad or mad and he got quiet, so I know it did.<br><br>
So....what do we mamas do with things like this...another child being unkind....how to foster confidence...???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts