Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My 5 year olds son has been very interested in girls since he started Kindergarten this year. He has had a couple of "girlfriends" at school whom he has married in a little make believe ceremony, cute, innocent, fun. He tells me all the time that he can't get girls out of his mind. Yikes, we have along road ahead! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>DS tells me this morning that he has been having dreams where girls are asking him to take off their clothes. I asked him who the girls are and he said they are girls from his class. He said that there are three girls from school in the dream at the same time, they all ask him to take off their clothes, which he does and then they "make out" with him. I asked him him how he knows he is making out with them and he said " well I am kissing them a lot and rubbing them". </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sooooooo, lol, hubby and I are wondering 1. Is this something that other 5 year old boys experience? 2. Is there a good book that will help me navigate this without doing permanent damage to my son's delicate sexuality? 3. Anyone have any experience with this?</p>
<p> </p>
<p> Our kids do see hubby and and I smooching, possibly a french kiss here and there, maybe a bit of bum pinching in the kitchen. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> We want to approach our children's sexuality from a very natural place. We want our children to be comfortable with their sexuality as young adults and adults. We don't want to stifle any natural behavior or do anything that would make him feel like he is doing something wrong. I am a 30 year old women and I have heard my share of stories from friends about sexual disorders and issues that are a direct result of something their parents or other adults in their lives did or said to make them feel like sex was dirty or something that they were curious about was bad or wrong. I really, really, REALLY, want to prevent those situations for my kids if possible. Any advice is very much appreciated! </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
209 Posts
<p>I think you might really like the book 'From Diapers to Dating" - it will give you lots of great ideas on how to approach talking about your sons sexuality in just the manner you seem to be looking for At first I thought his dreams were probably a normal reflection of his developmentally appropriate curiosity about the opposite sex - but the extent to which he is kissing them and rubbing them - is he getting to watch some programs that are maybe a bit too provocative? Or do you really feel this is just his extension and interpretation of what he sees his parents doing (and therefore naturally wants to emulate that behavior) - just to be clear - I do not want to come off as judgmental - I think you are wanting to take the right approach and I commend you for that --I just have concerns about how others may interpret his behavior I would suggest that you try and talk to him sooner rather then later in terms of what may or may not be acceptable to do/say to the girls in his class - you do not want others misinterpreting his behavior and then doing the kind of shaming you are wanting to avoid - something along the lines that while it's fine for him to want to explore his feelings and pretend to be married - at his age kissing should be reserved for family members??? or whatever you feel is appropriate and he would understand (I doubt the school wants the kids kissing - I for one would not want my dd kissing other boys at this point - she did some of that although just on the cheeK) - but even if it's just a matter of preventing the spread of colds and flu....JMO</p>

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thank you for the book suggestion! Your point about the types of media he is exposed is a good reflection question and I am going to keep an eye out. DS did tell me that the term "making out" was something a friend at school told him so it's possible friend also described it in 6 year old detail and DS retained it. Teacher confirms that "friend" has been socializing with much older children in his neighborhood and his words and ideas are always a bit to advanced for him so maybe a connection there to look into. Thanks for taking the time to answer! </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts