Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son showed very little interest in toilet-training until he was 4 1/2. We wanted to follow his lead so we let him decide when he was ready. When he decided he wanted to pee in the potty (in order to be able to do "extended day" at his pre-school) he mastered it in one day. The pooping has been another matter. Sometimes the poop will just come out when he is on the toilet and he is thrilled and proud. However, if he senses it coming, he holds it in, sometimes for days, and then tearfully asks us for a diaper to poop in. I can tell that he wants to poop in the potty, he just can't seem to get over some anxiety he has about it. My husband and I are at a loss of how to help him. Should we just tell him he needs to poop in the toilet and not let him have the diaper? Should we let him just hold it in until he's so uncomfortable that he requests the diaper? I would appreciate other peoples' insights/experience/suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
My ds is about to turn 5. I just give him a diaper when he asks for one and figure the problem will eventually resolve itself. I have done things to try to make sitting on the toilet more pleasant. We have a ring seat and a step stool. One time when he was willing to try, I put a little tv/video player in there (he likes electronic company when filling his diapers, stemming from an extreme sound sensitivity and fear of being startled by unexpected noise).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4evermom, Thanks for your input. I think I will also go with the flow and believe that he will one day decide not to use the diaper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts